Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

I read on another forum that, apparently, the A320 has a 'ditching' mode, which closes valves below the flotation line.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    I wonder if it will still be by there tomorrow afternoon. Do you think anyone would give me a problem if I wanted to see it and take photos of it be the dock or seawall? Ya know the whole illegal spheal?
    Pretty sure no one will give you a problem about photos, but if it is still there, I think there will be a wide perimeter to keep anyone away from it. But who knows, give it a shot.
    I might go down there to get a few shots
    I'm going to try to go there after school, around 3:30-4. Might be a total miss, but we'll never know until we try.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I responded directly to the US Air Terminal and was in the Station Managers office most of the night. I just got home and just wanted to say great job from the pilot all the way up and down the line at US Airways. From Loretta, Lou to all the staff who showed up to help, you should all be proud. Everyone jumped in and the main concern was to make sure staff got to the hospitals to make sure any assistance the passengers needed they had.

JetBlue sent pizza over. PANYNJ, PAPD, FBI, DHS/TSA, NYPD and the airline all worked great together in multiple locations.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Program Coordinator

A friend of mine called from CA while I was working to tell me to check the news...I got onto yahoo and couldn't believe my eyes. Incredible job from the pilot and cabin crew. I wonder if a video or some good quality photos will show up.

Also, kudos to jetBlue for that small gesture of pizza. I really liked that.

Someone has created a facebook "fan club" group for the pilot....

(Matt I know you've seen it already)...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56710389492

Looks like the USAirways go team, including the Doug Parker arrived LGA around 11:11 pm onboard a B757 from PHX

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE9031

You knew someone had to do it, and you could have figured it was going to be Fred and me...we met down near the site around 11pm. The streets nearest to where the aircraft is "docked" were closed to vehicle traffic (except emergency vehicles) but open to pedestrians. The waterfront park where the aircraft is located is closed off, and for the most part they kept us across the street from the park as well. Only the left wing and a bit of the vertical stabilizer are visible from the street. As you can see from the photos, the leading edge flap is missing.

It was cold! There were a fair amount of people out to take a look and take photos. At one point, Fred and I (along with at least one freelance photographer) were down at the south end of the street, right next to where the TV reporters were set up for their stand up reports. A police officer told us "No Pictures!" When I asked why, and reminded him we were on a public street, he said, "That's what they told me - no pictures." I asked him why it was OK for the TV crews to be shooting, but not us, he said "That's what they told me." Since I didn't think I could get anyone to come out at Midnight in 10 degree weather to bail me out of jail, we walked back up the street, where no one bothered us about photos.

The airplane is up near the shore just south of Chambers Street. They had a crane moved in close, but no barge when I left. One fireman I spoke with before I left said they had been told the plane would be moved in the morning.

Ron, great job by all your folks, and good work by all the emergency crews and others who responded. It could have been so much worse.

Awesome Moose and Fred!

I know there are a whole list of reasons it probably wouldn't happen, but I wonder if the Intrepid would have any interest in keeping the plane since she landed almost right behind her.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Did they dump any fuel before they ditched?
    How much fuel did they have onboard before takeoff.
    Glad this crash didn´t turn out the same way as the recent one in France with the A320 ditched and was completely destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio
    Did they dump any fuel before they ditched?
    The A320 does not have the ability to dump fuel.

How much fuel did they have onboard before takeoff?
    Probably not too much. LGA-CLT flight time is only about 90 mins.

The A320 does not have a fuel dump capability.

Heard about it on BBC New last night and watched the mayor of NYC speaking live at 11pm UK time.

That pilot and his crew deserve a medal for what they did, this was the best crash landing which could have ever happened (as every one survived and are a live).

My warmest congratulations to the crew and passengers of this flight.

Yes there is a guarded overhead switch labeled "ditching" As you look at the picture, it's in the lower right hand side of the panel , on the "Cabin Press" panel

I tracked the A320 aircraft on Passur. The news reports were wrong regarding the route. AWE 1549 never flew over New Jersey. The pilot started to fly the standard departure route off Rwy 4 and was climbing. After passing over Bronx Park, he started to descend ( sign something was wrong) and then made an incredible loop over Marble Hill. The way he avoided the GW Bridge is remarkable. He flew just east of the Bridge then headed for the Hudson while still descending. He is off the Passur radar at about 600' adjacent to W 125th St. in the middle of the Hudson. This all happened so fast. Kudos to all !