Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesbeach
    Is it really tied up to one of the boats nearby? It seems like an awful lot of weight to carry once the plane is no longer buoyant. According to airbus.com, it looks like the typical weight would be about 100,000 lbs. For a barge, that's not a big deal, but for a passenger ferry, I would be concerned.
    Not positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw ropes attached.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    as I walk about the office, I heard a reporter say it was a bird strike on BOTH engines.

C'mon now lady.
    That would seem to be the case, Mario...obviously more than one bird. If it were just one engine this would not have happened, and not many things besides multiple birds getting sucked into both engines would cause both engines to fail.

WSJ is reporting the captain had initially hoped to glide to TEB, but they lost altitude too quickly.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

as I walk about the office, I heard a reporter say it was a bird strike on BOTH engines.

C'mon now lady.
    It appears to be correct - seems it went through a flock of birds, effecting both engines. If only one engine was out, I would expect they could have stayed airborne.

The big question is where are they going to tow it to?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    The big question is where are they going to tow it to?
    Sounds like they're around 40th St now. There's a lot of good spots to fish it out from over there.

WNBC-4 is reporting the aircraft is down near 23rd St, and they will be trying to tie it up near Chelsea Piers (although I thought I heard someone say something about Chambers Street, which is even further downtown).

Eh, just rip the engines and black boxes out for inspection and let it float out to sea. Maybe it'll swim back to France. :)

hopefully, we shall see it at JFK, we have a giant de-icing hangar that could be referred to as a heat lamp...

I walked over to Pier A Park in Hoboken around 5pm (it's roughly across from Christopher Street) and saw the tail still above water and lots of boats around it. At that point it was already further south down the river so Chambers Street seems like a real possibility.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

US Airways new LGA-Midtown service on final.

Courtesy http://quiteallright.blogspot.com/2009/ ... photo.html

WNBC is showing a shot of the aircraft up against a dock at Battery Park. The tail and left wing are up out of the water.

I'm wondering if they will De-fuel the A/C (at least partially) while it is still in the water? I don't know if US would have tankered fuel for the A/C next leg, but I bet LGA-CLT with contingency for taxi/de-ice delays would have put the fuel on board up near 12,000kg to 15,000kg. I also think maybe JFK hangar 19(former Pan-AM, former United) for the investigation? It seems kind of logical to put the A/C on a barge, transport it to JFK then put it on low flatbeds and roll it to the hangar right at the end of 13R......... Hell of a job by the Flight Crew, hitting that water at over 150kts and keeping the A/C intact with only minor injuries to a few pax.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Latest reports said they have the plane tied up to a pier near Battery Park City. Amazing that everyone survived! I cannot believe that the aircraft didn't flip or break apart upon impact. Simply amazing!

C'mon now lady.
    Why not, very plausible. Those Canada Geese love to fly in formations of 10-20 or more! Most likely the crew saw them at the last minute but it was too late. They also love to take wing right at sunset when you can't see them. I had a near miss with a flock of them at final to runway 19 at FRG. They must've been grazing at the cemetery and took off westbound crossing the final at 200'. I only caught them at the last second when I pulled up to avoid them. I scattered a V formation of at least 8 of them.

Pete
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver

C'mon now lady.
    Pete
    That does happen... I remember vividly a CVR of a 737 with a birdstrike in both engines...the #1 went out and #2 started to surge about 2 times every second for about 60 seconds....then it got real quiet.

There are other examples
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".