Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

For anyone interested here is CNN's coverge of Sully's hometown celebration, and I agree with Planesntrains coments, Sully's seems to be the real deal.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/24/califo ... nnSTCVideo

In a bit of irony as I was typing this a decent size white bird flew right into the glass of our tower with a big thump, but it seemed unscathed and returned to flight.

Regards

LGA777

* Assemblyman David Weprin of Queens has a truly brilliant idea: legalize goose hunting at NYC airports. Because we need less birds flying at the airport and more bullets. What could go wrong?! What an effing tool.
    Port already hunts birds at the airports and does shoot them when need be so this is already covered. Port calls it "Bird Duty."

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Port already hunts birds at the airports and does shoot them when need be so this is already covered. Port calls it "Bird Duty."
    Not only that, but the birds that 1549 encountered were 3,000 feet up...they clearly had not taken off and were not flying toward our airports. For all we know they were flying BOS-FLL.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Not only that, but the birds that 1549 encountered were 3,000 feet up...they clearly had not taken off and were not flying toward our airports. For all we know they were flying BOS-FLL.
    So what you're saying is we need to use some SAMs to take care of the bird problem?

There actually used to be SAMs set up at LGA during WW2. Maybe we should bring them back.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Nike Missles are better...the Nuclear tipped missiles would take out the entire flock! :lol:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    Nike Missles are better...the Nuclear tipped missiles would take out the entire flock! :lol:
    ...among other things

Just in case you havent heard. Sully and crew will be interviewed for 60 minutes, airing Feb 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Also, no one is shooting a bird 3000 feet high....

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Also, no one is shooting a bird 3000 feet high....
    Any volunteers for service in a bi-plane armed with a couple of good bird guns?? :P
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

USAIR FLIGHT #1549 CRASH WAS NO ACCIDENT - HERE'S PROOF

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Close Up Photos of US Airways 1549 Removal

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/ ... php?t=7746

Found those at a forum that I am part of. I think these are some real great photos showing how they pulled out that A320.
    Pablo Maneiro Jr.
    TTMG Executive Officer/Media Crew
    Visit Us on the Web @ www.ttmg.org

Sources close to the investigation of the US Airways Flight 1549 ditching say the Airbus A320's left engine continued to run at about 35% fan speed (N1) during the 3min window between striking birds at 3,200ft (975m) and setting down on the Hudson river.

More info can be found here:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... rical.html
    See:
    My photos at Jetphotos.net
    Joop Stroes @ Jetphotos
    My photos at Airliners.net
    Joop Stroes @ Airliners.net

Today in Jersey City, with "wings 'n things" removed:

The starboard wing (upside-down) placed on a flatbed trailer. You can see the #2 engine pylon, and one of the landing gear tires:

Couple of guys went up on this lift, and looked to have made two or three cuts in the upper fuselage with this saw. At one point, I saw one of the guys take a couple of whacks at it with some type of claw hammer.

You can see the port wing on another flatbed behind the fuselage.

While I there, I saw a News12 New Jersey reporter and cameraman setting up, so I walked over to see if they knew of anything special about to happen, like moving the fuselage or something. Instead, the reporter started asking me about photographing the airplane, and she ended up interviewing me on camera. I don't know if it will make TV, and since I don't live in NJ or have Cablevision service, I won't be able to see it, but if anyone does, let me know how it came out.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

a decent size white bird flew right into the glass of our tower with a big thump, but it seemed unscathed and returned to flight

at first I thought this hysterical.... But a few weeks prior to 154, a pigeon just crashlanded outside hte front office door and simply died.

Perhaps this is hte itp of hte iceberg! LOL

Seriously, I happened to have the TV on when Sullenberger did hte hometown thing. Very succinct and brief. HIs wife had more to saw. Very good presence.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187