Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

(This is me Phil, not Mel typing) Listening to those tapes is very disturbing. Not because of the incident, but because the callers say "A plane went into the Hudson, and the dispatcher replies "What city?" I don't care about jurisdiction, but if you are a 911 dispatcher and you don't know where the Hudson is, then you shouldn't be dealing with emergency situations for a living. Regular people don't know the jurisdictions, and the Hudson is a border between two states. The dispatcher should know who to pass the call to. I feel like precious seconds are lost.

Can some of you EMT/Paramedic, Police, etc., people shed some light on this?

(again, not Mel, but Phil)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    (This is me Phil, not Mel typing) Listening to those tapes is very disturbing. Not because of the incident, but because the callers say "A plane went into the Hudson, and the dispatcher replies "What city?" I don't care about jurisdiction, but if you are a 911 dispatcher and you don't know where the Hudson is, then you shouldn't be dealing with emergency situations for a living. Regular people don't know the jurisdictions, and the Hudson is a border between two states. The dispatcher should know who to pass the call to. I feel like precious seconds are lost.

Can some of you EMT/Paramedic, Police, etc., people shed some light on this?

(again, not Mel, but Phil)
    EMT/Police are very different from 911 operators. 911 operators takes call and send it to the respective agency, but I totally agree with you on the call. I sounded very unprofessional and it really needs to be addressed in such life and death situation.

EMT/Police are dispatched by their dispatchers, who get their jobs from 911 operators. If you ever call in for a fire, the 911 operator will transfer you to the FDNY phone number and they take the jobs from there.

I was out there with Bill and Moose today, great to shot with you guys today! Even though the weather was cr@p (it felt like 10 degrees out) it was worth it.
    Here are some shots from today.

I wonder whos camera this is :D

Who are these guys? lol jk

I'll be back out there tomorrow to hopefully see it above water.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

In NYC all 911 calls are answered by CROs (Call Receiving Operators) employed by NYPD and are based in 9 Metrotech in Downtown Brooklyn. They are not Police Officers. The NYPD CRO takes some info then routes you to EMS or Fire if it is a call for them. The FDNY EMS CROs are EMTs or Paramedics and are based in 9 Metrotech as well, the FDNY Fire dispatchers are not Firefighters and are based in each borough. The only reason I can think of for the question about what City the caller is in would be beacuse of cell towers. When I worked EMS in South Brooklyn, a lot of cell calls were routed through Staten Island and vice versa. I once wound up at the Homeport in S.I. and was taken by a Coast Guard boat to a container ship that was actually closer to the Brooklyn side by at least 500 yards for a man having seizures onboard. We passed 2 Staten Island Medic units on the way.......
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Weren't some of those 911 calls from NJ? While you might think it's safe to assume the caller is talking about New York City, if you were talking to an operator in NJ, it could be Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken, etc.

Damn it was cold today! Good to spend the day with Bill and Pat, but it would have been nice to actually see them pull the plane out of the water. Of course, it could have been worse, it could be raining

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    In NYC all 911 calls are answered by CROs (Call Receiving Operators) employed by NYPD and are based in 9 Metrotech in Downtown Brooklyn. They are not Police Officers. The NYPD CRO takes some info then routes you to EMS or Fire if it is a call for them. The FDNY EMS CROs are EMTs or Paramedics and are based in 9 Metrotech as well, the FDNY Fire dispatchers are not Firefighters and are based in each borough. The only reason I can think of for the question about what City the caller is in would be because of cell towers. When I worked EMS in South Brooklyn, a lot of cell calls were routed through Staten Island and vice versa. I once wound up at the Homeport in S.I. and was taken by a Coast Guard boat to a container ship that was actually closer to the Brooklyn side by at least 500 yards for a man having seizures onboard. We passed 2 Staten Island Medic units on the way.......
    Sorry to correct you NYCMedic but I worked as both a dispatcher and supervisor in the NYC*EMS Communications Division. The NYPD 911 operators are actually called ACD (Automatic Call Distributer). The EMS Operators are CROs and the Fire are called Fire Alarm Dispatchers (usually they rotate between dispatching and call receiving.

Remember this was on the Hudson so yes the cell 911 call could have been picked up by a cell site on the New Jersey side and the question was to pinpoint the location on the Hudson. While the East side is Manhattan and the Bronx, the New Jersey side could be Englewood, Fort Lee, Edgewood, Fairview, North Bergen, West New York, Union City, Weehawken, Hoboken, or Jersey City.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Damn it was cold today! Good to spend the day with Bill and Pat, but it would have been nice to actually see them pull the plane out of the water. Of course, it could have been worse, it could be raining
    My feet are still cold! lol it was good seeing you Moose and nice meeting you Pat, thanks for the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    In NYC all 911 calls are answered by CROs (Call Receiving Operators) employed by NYPD and are based in 9 Metrotech in Downtown Brooklyn. They are not Police Officers. The NYPD CRO takes some info then routes you to EMS or Fire if it is a call for them. The FDNY EMS CROs are EMTs or Paramedics and are based in 9 Metrotech as well, the FDNY Fire dispatchers are not Firefighters and are based in each borough. The only reason I can think of for the question about what City the caller is in would be because of cell towers. When I worked EMS in South Brooklyn, a lot of cell calls were routed through Staten Island and vice versa. I once wound up at the Homeport in S.I. and was taken by a Coast Guard boat to a container ship that was actually closer to the Brooklyn side by at least 500 yards for a man having seizures onboard. We passed 2 Staten Island Medic units on the way.......
    Sorry to correct you NYCMedic but I worked as both a dispatcher and supervisor in the NYC*EMS Communications Division. The NYPD 911 operators are actually called ACD (Automatic Call Distributer). The EMS Operators are CROs and the Fire are called Fire Alarm Dispatchers (usually they rotate between dispatching and call receiving.

Remember this was on the Hudson so yes the cell 911 call could have been picked up by a cell site on the New Jersey side and the question was to pinpoint the location on the Hudson. While the East side is Manhattan and the Bronx, the New Jersey side could be Englewood, Fort Lee, Edgewood, Fairview, North Bergen, West New York, Union City, Weehawken, Hoboken, or Jersey City.
    We're both incorrect...... My friend's wife is an supervisor (Sergeant) at 9 Metro and she said the official "PC" term is Police Communications Technician, and they are cross trained to operate as call receivers,dispatchers, and clerical workers. She wasn't able to answer my other question but I am sure you will know. Where was PD Dispatch prior to Metrotech?
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway

We're both incorrect...... My friend's wife is an supervisor (Sergeant) at 9 Metro and she said the official "PC" term is Police Communications Technician, and they are cross trained to operate as call receivers,dispatchers, and clerical workers. She wasn't able to answer my other question but I am sure you will know. Where was PD Dispatch prior to Metrotech?
    Remember, I'm an old fart so back in the 80's and early 90's they were ACDs. Guess their union liked PCT better. PD dispatch was previously in 11 MetroTech and before that was One Police Plaza.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Heres mine!! From the scene

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Anyone know the plane's destination?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I think we can go euro style and ship it down the river to Philly. Even if the plane itself won't fly anymore, i'm sure it can still be used by US airways for parts; while the NTSB conducts their investigation.

what i mean by euro style:
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Fran ... 0388079/L/
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=396126

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Well Friday I heard marine terminal @ LGA because of the ramp...

But that doesn't rule out JFK (hangar space), Floyd Bennett (again open space with the ability to get a large crane without affecting airport ops) or even Jersey.

who really knows?

Floyd Bennett is my first guess, followed by JFK. Not sure there's any room for it at LGA, and I don't think NTSB would want to move it as far as PHL and risk further damage during transport.

I also don't think US would risk reusing any parts at this point, having been waterlogged and now partially frozen.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9