Thread: INSIDE Air Force One

INSIDE Air Force One

Fox did a report and went into almost all parts of airforce one... It was odd, I was told that the cockpit
    was similar to a 400 upgrade but in the cockpit clearly showed it was much more like the traditional 200
    with glass artifical horizions...(it feels weird talking about airforce one, but I can not believe they were
    allowed to take that footage!)

The airplane itself seems like other Boeing vip aircraft of that time. The nose with the 2 beds that turn into benches
    with the extended bath with shower, medical, Office, Meeting room, cattle, lower class tigher packed cattle. (not in that order).
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: INSIDE Air Force One

Really cool video, great insight; thanks for posting!

Very cool tour indeed! And coincidentally, the search begins for a new one...

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...placement.html

The US Air Force yesterday took the first public step in the search for a replacement of the Boeing VC-25 Air Force One, the presidential aircraft fleet.

The USAF posted a request for information for market sources that can provide three widebody aircraft to replace two, 19-year-old VC-25s, which are converted Boeing 747-200s.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

It seems whoever posted that clip on youtube has removed it, but I found the whole thing from another user, in two parts.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Those VC-25s have almost no time on them, why the need for replacement?

If the USAF can fly B-52s for over 50 years through several combat missions, why can't our president fly on the 20 year old 742s, with it's 99.9% up-time and upkeep?

coincidentally, one of the guys at work knows a guy who is apart of the squadron as an avionics tech. Small world.

Also a little trivia here, as I was told; You know the names on the side of military aircraft, besides in special cases (Blue angels, thunderbirds, etc...), it's really the name of the crew chief. Not the pilot. It's not the pilot's aircraft, it belongs to the crew chief.

I've never see Air Force1 in real life so this video is interesting.

I am surprised it isnt a newer 747-400, I am surprised it hasn't got a glass flight deck.

I am surprised the President didn't have his own PC with 36 inch LCD monitor and the latest Intel i7 cpu inside as some one as important as the president should have the best PC money can buy.

Its a pity our Priminister hasn't got an UK version of Air Force 1.

Having Concorde as UKs Air Force 1 would have been perfect (As we made her and paid for her), but seeing as she is grounded having an Airbus A380 hippo or the Airbus A340-600 would have been ok.

I think the Priminister use to use the RAF VC10s, but stopped using them years ago.

as per a glass cockpit, I was once told a story about a big bad russian mig that could fly around
    nuclear blasts without the EMP affecting his aircraft. As the story goes, we got our hand on the
    aircraft and there was little to no electronics other than navagation and radios. Maybe Glass Cockpit
    is a bad idea in this application.....enough said :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder
    I am surprised the President didn't have his own PC with 36 inch LCD monitor and the latest Intel i7 cpu inside as some one as important as the president should have the best PC money can buy.
    you do not just upgrade any military jet....LOTS of money needs to go into the testing of the equipment, ie.will the RF
    from the PC screw up the 800+ communications just above in the communications hump...a simple $5000
    LCD panel may need to go thru $100,000.00 worth of testing to get certified just for flight (numbers were pulled out of my
    butt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder
    you do not just upgrade any military jet....LOTS of money needs to go into the testing of the equipment, ie.will the RF
    from the PC screw up the 800+ communications just above in the communications hump...a simple $5000
    LCD panel may need to go thru $100,000.00 worth of testing to get certified just for flight (numbers were pulled out of my
    butt!)
    I'm also not so sure our current prez would have much use for such a device. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Derf

I never knew it would cost $100,000.00 to test and pass a $5000 LCD panel.

Obama is45 and the same-ish generation as us so hopefully he will have a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    It was odd, I was told that the cockpit was similar to a 400 upgrade but in the cockpit clearly showed it was much more like the traditional 200 with glass artifical horizions...
    The AI and HSI installed on both the left and right sides appeared to be meggitt displays. Cool videos.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch