Thread: 2009 Air Show Season

2009 Air Show Season

It's never too early to start planning for the 2009 show season :D The Thunderbirds and Blue Angels have released their schedules for next year:

http://thunderbirds.airforce.com/home.html
    http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/schedules.htm

As expected, the Thunderbirds will be at Jones Beach over Memorial Day weekend for the air show. Other shows in our area include Atlantic City in August, as well as Andrews AFB, Dover AFB, and Ocean City, MD. Unfortunately, the closest the Blue Angels get to us is Binghamton, over the July 4th weekend. The Snowbirds haven't published a schedule yet, but a tentative one I saw elsewhere didn't show any nearby performances from them. And from what I'm reading on-line about "defence" appropriations in the UK, I hope you all had a chance to see the Red Arrows this summer, because it's not likely that they will be on this side of the pond again anytime soon. :(

I don't know if there is an air show planned for McGuire in 2009. I haven't seen anything about it yet, but stay tuned for more...

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: 2009 Air Show Season

i don't know who will be signing my paychecks by the time this summer rolls around so i can't make any plans of my own. i'm not big on airshows personally, but i definately want to make it to the FLying Legends airshow in Duxford, UK in june or july.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'm not counting on McGuire, but the Blue Angels and Snowbirds will be in Rhode Island...

You're right, Steve, I missed that on the BA schedule. That sounds like a great show up at RI, I may have to try to get there next year.

I'll be at JB, probably working!!

This may be the start of something big:

From AVWEB News:

"Branson Airport, in Branson, Mo., will host the first annual Branson Air Show, May 8-10, which will set the stage for the grand opening of the brand-new, privately operated commercial airport on May 11. Acts will include the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, the Aeroshell Aerobatic Team, Manfred Radius, Patty Wagstaff, and more, plus plenty of warbirds on display. More performers are expected to be confirmed soon.

Branson Airport is the first privately financed and operated commercial airport in the U.S. Organizers of the $155 million project say it will create a more pleasant travel experience for customers."

The lighting in RI is okay in the morning but amazing in the afternoon... but the action is VERY close! It is one of my favorite airshows... haven't missed a single show since I started going in 2003.

I hope because of the Snowbirds being that... that the show schedule does not have everyone flying twice... this year every aerobatic performer flew twice on both days, and the Hornet and Harrier demos flew twice on Saturday while the Strike Eagle and Harrier flew twice on Sunday. The Red Arrows were also there...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135

I don't know if there is an air show planned for McGuire in 2009. I haven't seen anything about it yet, but stay tuned for more...

When I left there in July there were no plans for another airshow at WRI this year... The next one was scheduled for 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    When I left there in July there were no plans for another airshow at WRI this year... The next one was scheduled for 2010...
    Thanks, Clark. It's funny, when they starting having shows again, they had one in 2005, skipped 2006, then had shows in 2007 and 2008. Not quite every other year...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Thanks, Clark. It's funny, when they starting having shows again, they had one in 2005, skipped 2006, then had shows in 2007 and 2008. Not quite every other year...
    They originally were not going to have a show last year and were scheduled for one this year, but last summer when it was announced that Philadelphia would be one of the three nationwide host cities for "Air Force Week", McGuire was pretty much told that they were going to host another open house....

[quote="Steven Holzinger"]The lighting in RI is okay in the morning but amazing in the afternoon... but the action is VERY close! It is one of my favorite airshows... haven't missed a single show since I started going in 2003.
    quote]

OH YEA! Awesome show! I was up in the cherry picker when the had the "combined arms demo" with the black hawks and C-130...simply amazing.

Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

I have the Snowbirds schedule posted on my site, as it seems it is already posted on another website. Just have to click on the link to the Military Jet Team Schedules and you'll see it listed...

Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger
    The lighting in RI is okay in the morning but amazing in the afternoon... but the action is VERY close! It is one of my favorite airshows... haven't missed a single show since I started going in 2003.
    quote]

OH YEA! Awesome show! I was up in the cherry picker when the had the "combined arms demo" with the black hawks and C-130...simply amazing.
    looks like we were shooting 2 feet apart :lol: i was up there on sunday during that demo (had the courage to finally get past the thought of a wobbling stand 30 feet up :lol: )