Thread: Another Reason to use Firefox

Another Reason to use Firefox

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081215/ ... security_1

Serious flaw in Internet Explorer not fixed yet (AP)
    * Posted on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO - Users of all current versions of Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer browser might be vulnerable to having their computers hijacked because of a serious security hole in the software that had yet to be fixed Monday.

The flaw lets criminals commandeer victims' machines merely by tricking them into visiting Web sites tainted with malicious programming code. As many as 10,000 sites have been compromised since last week to exploit the browser flaw, according to antivirus software maker Trend Micro Inc.

The sites are mostly Chinese and have been serving up programs that steal passwords for computer games, which can be sold for money on the black market. However, the hole is such that it could be "adopted by more financially motivated criminals for more serious mayhem — that's a big fear right now," Paul Ferguson, a Trend Micro security researcher, said Monday.

"Zero-day" vulnerabilities like this are security holes that haven't been repaired by the software makers. They're a gold mine for criminals because users have few ways to fight off attacks.

The latest vulnerability is noteworthy because Internet Explorer is the default browser for most of the world's computers. Also, while Microsoft says it has detected attacks only against version 7 of Internet Explorer, which is the most widely used edition, the company warned that other versions are also potentially vulnerable.

Microsoft said it is investigating the flaw and is considering fixing it through an emergency software patch outside of its normal monthly updates, but declined further comment. The company is telling users to employ a series of complicated workarounds to minimize the threat.

Many security experts, meanwhile, are urging Internet Explorer users to use another browser until a patch is released

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Another Reason to use Firefox

that's why i use avant.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Avant?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Avant?
    avant browser. http://www.avantbrowser.com/
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

As if I needed anymore reasons...
    I knew IE 7 was trouble the minute i saw it. Immediately uninstalled it, and soon after got fire fox.
    I like the tabs, themes, ABP, an that there isn't a click every 30 seconds from refreshing. My critique is that it uses a lot of RAM.

What are positives of Avant?