Thread: NHL Officially a Joke: Sean Avery Released for Trash Talk

NHL Officially a Joke: Sean Avery Released for Trash Talk

Back in the old days (10 years ago) when a hockey player talked smack about another player's woman he would simply get a stick to the groin and they would duke it out. Today, you get suspended, dropped by your team, and forced to enter rehab.

http://sports.myway.com/news/12142008/v3571.html

I'm not saying Sean Avery should have said what he did to a TV crew, but suspended and then released?! And now he's in a "treatment program" to deal with anger problems. Might as well merge the NHL with the LPGA.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: NHL Officially a Joke: Sean Avery Released for Trash Talk

This is embarrassing. There HAS TO be much more behind the scenes. It makes no sense otherwise, especially coming from Brett Hull.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

There HAS TO be much more behind the scenes. It makes no sense otherwise, especially coming from Brett Hull.
    Yea something is going on. For a team to just part ways like this is more than just insulting someone's gf, I mean if that was the case nobody would be playing international soccer they would all be sent home. Nothing seemed to surface with the Rangers. Who knows.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

He was warned many times before, even in person by NHL higher ups. As an isolated incident, you're right it seems kind of silly. But he knew better, and was already on the list because of prior actions.

You know, I was out of the loop with the NHL for several years. I was surfin on YouTube and came across a couple videos that show me what Avery's been up to over the years.

Avery instigating with opposing team during warm-ups 3 times. Don Cherry is exactly right:

Throwing watter bottles in a p-box tantrum, soaking a family.

As for his comment that got him suspended, I have to admit it was pretty funny. Keep watching and it seems that his teammates are fed up with him as well.

I love a guy that can stir it up and talk trash and be a character and a distraction. But unfortunate;y he's also unable to not act like an animal at times, and crosses way over the line to disrespect for the sport.

This interview is funny. He genuinely likes ladies' fashion. I'd bet money he took the reporter home, too.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

One of my friends works in the front office for the Edmonton Oilers. Sean Avery has a really nasty reputation off the ice and is one of the most unpopular players. Not even his teammates like him. Now, yeah, my friends works for the Oilers and Avery plays for the Stars, but the NHL is a tightly-knit group and everyone who works for a team knows what's going on. Anyways, he was not surprised by this at all.

By the way, another guy with a nasty reputation is Mike Comrie of the Islanders. He used to play for the Oilers and he was traded away because he slept with coach Craig MacTavish's wife. MacT actually lives in the same neighborhood as my parents, just a few streets away. I've met him and Comrie before. Comrie had a reputation of sleeping with other players' wives. He's currently dating Hillary Duff.

God, I miss hockey!