Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not allowed to take a picture

Not allowed to take a picture

I hope this is the right spot to ask this.

I am a pilot training at a small airport that sees a good number of jet traffic.

For about the past 14 months when I have been at the airport I will take pictures of what might be on the ramp. Never had a problem with that, until today.

After taking a picture of a jet on the ramp of one of the FBO’s I was approached by a lineman who told me I am not allowed to take pictures because of the “Aircraft Privacy Act” for aircraft on their ramp.

I just apologized and thanked him for informing me that I was not allowed to do such a thing.

I have never heard of anything, and I am unable to find anything about such a thing.

Aviation photography is not illegal, so what is the problem here? Is the FBO trying to be “safe” and looking out for security? Did I run into a lineman who wanted to feel powerful today? I have seen him many times in the past…

Thanks for any info/opinion/etc.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Not allowed to take a picture

since the line guy is such a know-it-all ask him to show you such act on paper.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Well, I've never hear of such a thing as the Aircraft Privacy Act. Doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it really makes my BS alarm go off.

On the other hand, I imagine that the FBO owner has the right to allow or not allow pictures taken on his facility.

He is lying to you - or at least repeating a lie that was told to him. If you are on that FBO's property, the most they can do is ask you to move, and call the police if you refuse. If you are on public property, they can't stop you from taking photos of anything that is in view of the general public. I shoot at FRG (a small airport with a lot of jet traffic) and no one has ever stopped me from photographing the aircraft.

I definitely was not on the FBO’s property when taking the picture. I was crossing an inner taxiway at the time.

I upload these pictures to myaviation.net. Should I stop doing that? My overall goal in my flight training is a job in the airlines; if this FBO gets really upset about this, could it be a problem? I feel stupid asking such a thing, but after yesterday I wouldn’t doubt them doing crazy things…

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingSAN
    I upload these pictures to myaviation.net. Should I stop doing that?
    By all means, do not. Those photos are property of you, and you can do whatever you please with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingSAN
    I definitely was not on the FBO’s property when taking the picture. I was crossing an inner taxiway at the time.

I upload these pictures to myaviation.net. Should I stop doing that? My overall goal in my flight training is a job in the airlines; if this FBO gets really upset about this, could it be a problem? I feel stupid asking such a thing, but after yesterday I wouldn’t doubt them doing crazy things…
    There is no such law as the "Aircraft Privacy Act." Some FBOs discourage photography for the privacy of their customers, and it's possible this particular FBO has a rule against photography on their property. But if you were not on their property there's nothing they can do and I wouldn't worry about it. If anyone approaches you again, ask them to clarify what the rules are. Do not hesitate to continue posting your photos online.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A quick Google: "No results found for "Aircraft Privacy Act".

Keep taking pics and keep uploading them.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks everyone, I will see if I run into anymore problems…

I can understand a company wanting to block the flight tracking for their aircraft; but if they are so worried about people seeing their aircraft, pay for a hanger…

Just keep it positive to yourself. We've all been hassled about taking pictures but we keep it on. And so can you. Theres nothing to worry about. Aviation photography is not illegal. you will be ok.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

You have my deepest sympathy as I know what your going through.

This year while i was innocently taking photos of the Houses of parliament at sunset, 2 police officers suddenly stopped me and asked me "what was i doing"......

At the time i was in a "public place" taking photos of a "public building" which was the other side of the river Thames so i wasn't doing any thing bad or illegal (and there where other people around me who did the same thing), but the police still stopped and searched me (i guess because I am Indian).

After they checked me out they left me alone.......

In summer 2003 while I chased Concorde around the outside of Heathrow I was ALWAYS in a public place, I was ALWAYS on a public foot path taking pictures of a public plane (Concorde).

But some times it was an utter nightmare as some Heathrow Police officers where nasty pieces of work who took pleasure in stopping and searching me endless times, who took pleasure in harrasing me and watching me suffer for no valid reason.

And when they told me to move i moved as i didnt want PC Plod making life even worse for me ...........

Some Heathrow Security guards where also just as bad, where as others where ok.

Its the luck of the draw............

Get this, today I flew with the chief flight instructor.

They have a what I think is a stupid contest going on at the school, the best aerial picture of a whale will win some prize. That’s safe….fly low to the ocean, in a turn and take pictures of a whale…

The chief instructor made the comment about bringing a camera along. I said I always bring a camera to the airport, but added in that I guess you can no longer take pictures of aircraft.

He came back with “oh yeah, you can do that, its illegal.” And threw in there that “what if you are a terrorist?” Followed by “you need the owners permission to take a picture of the aircraft…”

If I was not flying with the guy I would have yelled out BS, but I do know when I need to keep my mouth shut.

What is up with these people? Drinking the sea water?

That terrorist remark really pissed me off too; some moron can walk up and down the flight line looking at every aircraft trying to open the door of every aircraft….we don’t care about him, but damn, your taking a picture, you might study it and find out where the ailerons are; or what kind of tires we use.

Just curious – standing on public property, or airport property (not the FBOs) and take pictures all day long….they come along and say stop. I don’t and keep on because I am not breaking the law – what can they do? Legally, what can be done? Nothing, right? What would the charges be??

I remembered that time I was at Cross Bay Park back in 2003 and an NYPD van approached me with 3 officers in the van and asked me what I was doing, and I told the officer that I was photographing planes taking off and they asked for my ID and I gave him the ID and asked me what is the reason for taking pictures of planes, And I said that aviation is my hobby and I collect diecast models and photographing planes in action. And they did asked me if I was a terrorist and I of corse I said no, I figured that in a way because I looked arab and yes Im Puerto Rican.. They did asked to leave the park and I took off and went else where to take pictures. First of all, Cross Bay Park is a public place and I think it was very wrong that I was told to leave. I wasnt doing anything illegal. I shouldnt have been asked to leave a public place for nothing.. I know how you felt BoeingSAN.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Just curious – standing on public property, or airport property (not the FBOs) and take pictures all day long….they come along and say stop. I don’t and keep on because I am not breaking the law – what can they do? Legally, what can be done? Nothing, right? What would the charges be??
    If you didn't move, they'd probably get you for loitering or something.

Sounds like in the USA and UK those 9/11 terrorists have really made people paraniod and now we all get stopped and searched........

Its stupid.......

Taking photos of commercial planes and public places is an innocent hobby for us all, but those low life evil terrorists have made the world a nasty place for every one.