Thread: Southwest again---ISP-MDW 30 November--MDW-ISP 3 December

Southwest again---ISP-MDW 30 November--MDW-ISP 3 December

So for the 10th year in a row, my T day holiday got interrupted by having to travel to Chicago for a medical trade show--which always starts the Sunday after Thanksgiving. This year with the princess home from school, however, I decided to do things a little differently--and fly out on Sunday morning instead of Saturday. It worked out better because our team is splitting the show this year, and I get to go back early--Wednesday rather than Friday!

I woke up at oh dark thiry (that's 4:30 for those not familiar with technical terms) and was in the car on the way to ISP around 5AM. Not knowing what to expect from the single security check point, I planned some extra time just in case-I have heard that the early morning flights are usually full, meaning long lines at security. I had previously checked in, and the A4 on the boarding card (I do like Business Select) meant almost certainly a good seat and a chat with a friendly FA.

Lo and behold, there were only about 20 people on the security line when I arrived--around 5:20, and they had 2 lanes open and running--so it took around 8 minutes to get through security. Passing through the checkpoint, I saw that the ramp repairs appear to be finished, and the upper A gates were now open. Picked up a Starbucks and waited for boarding to begin.

Right at 30 min to departure, the agent lined us up, and we started on board. I go right to the exit row, in this case the one with no seat in front, and got settled in early--and of course a chatty FA was right there --said this flight was absolutely full. It turned out to be correct.

Off the gate on time, out to RY 6 and a quick takeoff with right turnout. In the clouds pretty early I observed the excellent climb capability of a loaded 737-700, because as we crossed the south shore of LI on the way to the first departure fix, I heard the 10,000 ft chimes--that's quicker in the climb than a 319.

Planned cruise altitude was 380, and we reached it again pretty quickly, and the bev service began. Very efficient, a snack first and then choice of beverage--and they take the order then fill from the galley. I slept a little, read a little, then realized I might have made a bad choice by having Starbucks, as a lav call was in order and I was at the window next to two sleeping passengers. Luckily they woke up in a few minutes and I made my way to the rear lav. The FA's were friendly, and when I came out, the one who served us originally asked if I would like another OJ or anything else--amazing memory! Overall they asked 2 more times if I wanted anything else, which was a nice touch for a "no frills" carrier.

Descent and arrival was uneventful, except I forgot that MDW is in the middle of a neighborhood, and the runways are VERY short. We arrived on 4R, with a flaps 40 landing (don't see those too often), and a quick taxi to the gate, and I was on my way to the taxi line.

I will try to check in for Wednesday's flight tomorrow morning, and see how it goes for the return. Bottom line, expectations met if not exceeded, excellent value for the buck....slightly less than AA from LGA to ORD, but fully unrestricted and refundable...works for me.

I am still not ready to do transcon with WN, but I do have to admit they are growing on me.........
    It's the fares, stupid

Re: Southwest again---ISP-MDW 30 November--MDW-ISP 3 December

WN 1480 3 Dec MDW-ISP

As I probably said before, we were lucky this year that our team split the trade show-instead of staying in Chicago until Friday, I was able to go back today--which was excellent. The bright part of the trip was dining with my colleagues three nights in a row--and our annual dinner at 437 Rush did not disappoint.

This morning I was up early, packed and out of the hotel around 7:45 for a 9:50 flight from Midway. I gotta say I like Midway Airport--much closer than O'Hare and relatively little traffic this time of day.
    The concierge had printed my boarding pass for me when I checked out of the hotel--I had A-01 again!

Upon arrival at Midway I noticed that they had the colored lanes, and I must say, the airport was not very crowded, but I did use the expert lane and it was very quick. They do note that the expert lanes also include elite frequent flyers, which I thought was interesting.

Through security, I had breakfast at Harry Caray's - nice full breakfast, and headed down to my gate. The inbound was just pulling up as I arrived. My leg to ISP was the continuation of a flight originating in AUS. I did get thrown off a little when I saw a guy walk back to the gate and just walk right back onto the plane a couple of minutes before boarding. Apparently he was a through passenger, but there was no agent at the outer gate, she was at the aircraft door. It didn't seem right to me, but a pilot standing there didn't say a word...

Once on board, I found my exit seat, and settled in. We pushed right on time, and were airborne a couple of minutes later--the 737-700 is a little rocket I tell ya.

Snack and beverages done, an hour and a half later we were descending into NY already. This was a little unusual--the LENDY arrival is not used that much for ISP any more (it's usually a JFK arrival), but they did it today--overhead EWR, south over the Atlantic, left turn parallel to the south shore of LI and into ISP. Flaps and gear out on downwind, and a short approach to RY 24 at ISP.

I do have to say that although I do not like not having assigned seats on principle, one advantage is you never get a dupe.... and I have yet to see issues with boarding. It's amazing how efficient they board.

So another WN trip in the books......not bad.
    It's the fares, stupid

Art-

Glad to see SWA served you well! I guess thats one thing WN can promise, is basically nothing at all, which usually exceeds your expectations. Sounds like what they did here once again.

As for the through passenger thing, yes WN allows them to get off and re board without going through lining up or anything, they simply need their driver's license and flash it to the agent in the jetbridge or gate, wherever this agent may be and they go back on.

Art-take it from me, don't take WN trans con if you can avoid it. I took it PHL-LAX-PHL, and the ONLY reason it was ok for me was I personally knew the flight crew. Otherwise, no PTV, no Internet (this is being tested as of now however) can be quite a bore.

However you do get free and unlimited drinks and snacks on transcons so that is a benefit versus others in coach, only trans con is BWI-SAN, though there are just as long MHT-PHX, LAS and ISP-LAS too.

Please PM me if you have any questions regarding SWA I'd be happy to answer, or if you want a check on flight loads!

Thanks for trying SWA again!

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Man if I had a dollar for every time I heard Art say he'd never get on a WN bird I'd be a rich man by now ;) I still like WN but its interesting how now Art flys them now and I try to avoid them for the same reasons Art didn't fly them at first, the boarding procedures. I'm not a fan of the new boarding groups with the exception that you can show up to the gate 10 mins before boarding since you have a spot already. I'm getting use to those nice big front seats on those AA birds vs all coach ;)

Flew Southwest last June back from Tucson with my son and enjoyed the service and the flight. In fact the terminal at Midway had a large exhibit all about the Battle of Midway and that was a great way to kill time waiting for our flight to
    ISP. Also saw that Chicago FD Aviation hangared across the way from the terminal and saw their Bell 412 come in and later depart. When we came in to ISP we flew over Connecticut, the Sound and in from the East to ISP. And quick in and out for our luggage.
    Last Sunday my oldest son came back from a trip to Tucson-MDW-ISP and he said the last hour or so of the flight scared the crap out of him as they flew in those gusty winds that buffeted the area. Mmm, didnt bother me!! :D

Program Coordinator

When my girlfriend used to live in Chicago we would fly back and forth fairly often to visit one another. 80% of the time it was on WN - usually some variant of MDW-BDL or MDW-PVD. One of the few times we didn't use WN was when my girlfriend flew STL-ORD-BOS on AA (she went to college near St Louis). Got diverted back to STL (ORD traffic too heavy), and then got stuck overnight in ORD once she made it there. It was pretty much all WN after that - though I liked go through ORD now and then to get more exciting traffic.