Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you can catch a football...

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: If you can catch a football...

The NFLPA is a terrible organization. They are simply going to try to help him recover as much money as possible but not being able to see his contract the "conduct unbecoming" clause could reach far and we will not know unless this gets ugly. The club may play ball just to get rid of him which is the ultimate goal for them now. This act is a felony and I don't think he can plea it low enough to get to a misdeamenor. So the club may have a leg to stand on.

I love how Pierce was quoted as saying he is willing to testify to the grand jury. How nice of him seeing if he didn't he prob would be arrested.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I don't know that Plaxico is such a bad guy really.

He had a concealed carry license in Florida at one time. He should have tried to have one for New York and New Jersey as well. Presumably he had the time and resources, and arguably a valid reason to carry a handgun.

Obviously he is foolish.

As for Bloomberg's "outrage" and the drama over making a "mockery" of the law, I would not be surprised if New York Presbyterian doesn't report illegal aliens and most of govt here chooses to ignore all those immigration laws as they see fit and he does not lose sleep over it.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'd have to say that I think there's a difference between an illegal immigrant and a shooting.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

He had a concealed carry license in Florida at one time. He should have tried to have one for New York and New Jersey as well. Presumably he had the time and resources, and arguably a valid reason to carry a handgun.

Obviously he is foolish
    Don't think he is a bad guy but he has an obligation to his team. When you sign that big contract you basically become property of the NY Giants and should behave in a manner that is not unbecoming of the team. As for him getting a carry permit I doubt NY or NJ would have given one to him. He doesn't carry huge amounts of money for business and giving professional athletes guns would be a mistake as we saw with Burress who couldn't even carry it properly. He also made it worse by trying to cover it up.

s for Bloomberg's "outrage" and the drama over making a "mockery" of the law
    He was pandering for the camera and being a politician.

I'd have to say that I think there's a difference between an illegal immigrant and a shooting.
    Yea Tom I am not getting that, sure NYC has sanctuary issues but not sure how it ties in with this.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    The NFLPA is a terrible organization. They are simply going to try to help him recover as much money as possible but not being able to see his contract the "conduct unbecoming" clause could reach far and we will not know unless this gets ugly.
    Sorry, that's their job, to represent members of their union. If they just walk away from him, they wouldn't be doing what they are in place for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    I would agree with you, except if you feel that you're in legitimate danger and choose to carry a gun, please use at least minimal gun safety protocol. Stuffing it down your SWEATPANTS and drinking a bottle of Patron...wow. Glad it didn't go off while he was getting lap dances at the strip club he went to before shooting up LQ.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Sorry, that's their job, to represent members of their union. If they just walk away from him, they wouldn't be doing what they are in place for.
    This isn't collective bargaining, it has crossed over into a legal issue. The NFLPA wasn't created for this, sure they should represent him but to try to fight a team with a breach of contract is a little beyond the scope.

I would agree with you, except if you feel that you're in legitimate danger and choose to carry a gun, please use at least minimal gun safety protocol. Stuffing it down your SWEATPANTS and drinking a bottle of Patron...wow. Glad it didn't go off while he was getting lap dances at the strip club he went to before shooting up LQ.
    Exactly, I mean I kind of get the impression Burress carried it in light of the recent violence against NFL players but Phil is right he was very irresponsible. Get legally armed bodyguards or something else. Then to try to cover it up after just made it worse.

The illegal alien example I brought up here was in reference to Bloomberg's bleating about "making a mockery of the law" in his desire to send this guy to jail for years...

Yeah, I understand this guy shot himself by accident. Its reckless to let this guy have a gun. But there was no intent to hurt anyone. I don't see it as productive to send him to jail for "years". The guy covered it up likely because of NYC's draconian gun laws. I can't blame him for that.

Does a day go by during hunting season when hunters don't accidentally shoot themselves or others? Thats the nature of guns. Yes, they're (usually) legal, so okay, lets move over to speeding. Some kid drives 75 mph in a 50 mph zone. How many years is he going to jail? Because, you know, he *might* have had a blow out or been distracted by his cell and hit someone. How about for blowing a red light?

In my view, the NYC gun laws are hysteria enacted mostly by liberals still in the shadow of and incensed that Bernie Goetz shot those 4 pieces of trash on a train back in 1979 (78?). It was the self defense, vigilante angle they could not abide. There was a APB put out in about 5 or 6 states on that guy. If he had just been pushed under the train to his death, he might not have warranted a two liner in the Daily News and rest assured absolutely no "APB" to multiple states to apprehend the perps. In that case, Bernie Goetz' hand gun probably saved some lives down the road. But of course he had to be charged repeatedly (double jeopardy essentially) for the same act, and then sentenced by a judge to psychological therapy in the absence of any determination there was a mental problem. All Political. Oh yeah, and to "send a message". :roll: Thats always great equal protection under the law. Thats all this is about really.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

The illegal alien example I brought up here was in reference to Bloomberg's bleating about "making a mockery of the law" in his desire to send this guy to jail for years...
    I think it was more PR and chest beating and a chance to get some time in front of the camera to appeal to the anti gun contingent.

Yeah, I understand this guy shot himself by accident. Its reckless to let this guy have a gun. But there was no intent to hurt anyone. I don't see it as productive to send him to jail for "years". The guy covered it up likely because of NYC's draconian gun laws. I can't blame him for that.
    Well he made it worse for himself by trying to cover it up and drag his poor teammate into it who can still be arrested if the DA chooses to pursue it. In reality Burress will get a good lawyer and plea this down. I am sure the jail time will be a lot less than everyone thinks and a stiff fine and probation as well. He isn't going to get any special treatment here.

In my view, the NYC gun laws are hysteria enacted mostly by liberals still in the shadow of and incensed that Bernie Goetz shot those 4 pieces of trash on a train back in 1979 (78?).
    Hmm think this a little bit of a stretch Tom, I think the laws in NY are fair and permits for carrying and concealing are given out to people who need and deserve them.

I've noticed crimes going up lately in the areas that I live and hang out at. I honestly am somewhat concerned about my own safety, and for my loved ones. With the strict gun laws in place here in NYC, and the freedom given to law enforcement regardless of the actual laws pertaining to carry "legal" knives, I have no way to protect myself.

If the economy worsens and historic trends pertaining to it occur, crime will rise. You will see the same people that asked for strict gun crimes suddenly wish they could protect themselves. Many people that wanted stricter gun laws never had to look down the barrel of one.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil, thats exactly right. I've noticed some nasty violent street crime seems to be going up lately - just anecdotally of course, I haven't looked at statistics. But its alarming.

Nick, I think the law is fair up to a point, but if this city tilts to the way it once was, in my living memory, its hardly fair for Robert De Niro, Donald Trump, Howard Stern etc. to "need" one more than a lot of other folks.

I'd personally put cab drivers, bus drivers, deli store owners on the fast track if they wanted one and had a clean record. Thats just for starters. I realize though, not many people will agree with me on this.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"