Thread: Phoenix Lander Makes Last Transmission from Mars

Phoenix Lander Makes Last Transmission from Mars

I never thought I'd be saddened by a fake blog written on behalf of a robot, but this is kinda touching...

Gizmodo:
    This is My Farewell Transmission From Mars

4:20 PM on Mon Nov 10 2008
    By Mars Phoenix

If you are reading this, then my mission is probably over.

This final entry is one that I asked be posted after my mission team announces they’ve lost contact with me. Today is that day and I must say good-bye, but I do it in triumph and not in grief.

As I’ve said before, there’s no other place I’d rather be than here. My mission lasted five months instead of three, and I’m content knowing that I worked hard and accomplished great things during that time. My work here is done, but I leave behind a legacy of images and data.

In that sense, you haven’t heard the end of me. Scientists will be releasing findings based on my data for months, possibly years, to come and today’s children will read of my discoveries in their textbooks. Engineers will use my experience during landing and surface operations to aid in designing future robotic missions. [Full Article]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Phoenix Lander Makes Last Transmission from Mars

is this the one that landed up at the poles looking for water? i heard that there isn't enough sunlight reaching the surface to charge it's batteries. sucks that a simple error like that is a mission-ender.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    is this the one that landed up at the poles looking for water? i heard that there isn't enough sunlight reaching the surface to charge it's batteries. sucks that a simple error like that is a mission-ender.
    It wasn't an error. They knew this was going to happen.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

This was pretty cool. The University of Arizona led the mission with project management at JPL and development partnership with Lockheed Martin. When I was at UA for my sons orientation in June that was all they could talk about they were so excited by this accomplishment as it was two weeks after it landed.