Thread: Any FRG based General Aviation pilots on this board?

Any FRG based General Aviation pilots on this board?

I'm taking a shot that there may be some FRG based pilots here who may be able to help, or maybe some of you ramp guys. I'm wondering if there are any small clubs/rental fleets left at FRG who are friendly to freelance CFI's such as myself. I started flying 20 years ago at FRG with Al Mozzor of Air Transport Corp, who had a half dozen aircraft for rental in the OLD Echo area before the reconstruction.

Back in the early 90's I rented and instructed at a couple of places. Joe Tavalaro had a couple of beautiful C-150's and a Cardinal that he rented. A friend of his had a club with a Cherokee 180 and a Seneca. Another guys later in the mid 90's had a 150 and 2 nice Archers, and another had 4 or 5 C-172's in Alpha area up to 2000. I know that all of these planes are pretty much gone now I think. I took a break from flying for 4 years starting in 2000 til 2004.

Basically these were no-frills rental/lease back clubs, based at the various tie-down spots with small if no monthly fees. Just get a check out, renter's insurance and you paid as you rented. I'm looking for a place like this again. Since 2004 I instruct PT at ISP at a small club flying the Alarus. These are 2-seat trainers and we don't have any 4-seaters. I'm getting requests for a 4-seater and I need a place who welcomes free-lance CFI's.

Does anyone know if anyone other than the big name schools rent at FRG anymore?

I've heard rumors that the inability to get commercial insurance, and increased security that won't let numerous people have a set of keys to the planes may have put an end to these guys operations. This may just be rumors.

Any tips appreciated!

Pete
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Re: Any FRG based General Aviation pilots on this board?

NFI- Cessna/Piper
    Academy of Aviation- Cessna
    Air East- Piper
    Louis Fly- Piper
    Glass Cockpit- Diamond/Cirrus
    KKJ- Piper

and a helo school at the other end that i dont know the name of.