Thread: Delta to charge for first checked bag

Delta to charge for first checked bag

Joining the rest of the group Delta will now charge for the first checked bag.

Delta Air Lines Inc. has joined its industry peers by starting fees for checked first bags, but it is also cutting other fees.

The Atlanta-based airline said the moves are part of aligning policies with the recently acquired Northwest.

For travel on or after Dec. 5, Delta customers flying within the United States will be charged $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second checked bag. Customers who bought Delta tickets on or before Nov. 5 and who are traveling on or after Dec. 5 will be charged $50 for a second bag, but will be permitted to check their first bag for free.

Customers flying in First or Business Class, including SkyMiles Medallion members and WorldPerks Elite members, will receive up to three checked bags, up to 70 pounds each, for free.

“The increase in bags being carried on board Delta aircraft this year tells us that customers are not differentiating Delta as the only major airline not charging for a first checked bag,” said Steve Gorman, Delta chief operating officer, in a prepared statement. “As we align customer policies and fees to simplify the travel experience for our customers throughout the merger, Delta is adopting proven practices from both Delta and Northwest that have been broadly accepted in the marketplace.”

Delta (NYSE: DAL) is cutting the $25 to $100 fuel surcharges for SkyMiles and WorldPerks award ticket travel originating from the United States and Canada. The surcharges were put in place earlier this year by both airlines in response to unprecedented fuel costs.

The carrier also reduced the fee assessed for tickets bought over the phone from a reservations sales representative from $25 to $20. It also will shrink the fee collected when customers redeem either SkyMiles or WorldPerks award travel over the phone with a reservations sales representative from $25 to $20.

Delta has gotten rid of the $3 curbside check-in administration fee, meaning customers will no longer be charged an administrative fee for checking bags via skycaps for Delta- and Northwest-operated flights at airport locations worldwide.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: Delta to charge for first checked bag

Glad I am not checking anything when I fly them next month. I hate to see how much this will make people carry on more crap.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

While this is totally stupid and I think Delta is completely ignorant for doing this, if you booked before today for travel after December 5, the fee doesn't apply.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

This is sort of a shocker with gas prices going down. I hope they didn't hedge their gas at high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    This is sort of a shocker with gas prices going down. I hope they didn't hedge their gas at high prices.
    Most did...look for more write downs in the 4th Qtr. Even at 67 bucks a barrel airlines can't make money.

The headline of their press release makes it sound like they're doing us a favor!

:lol:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Good thing it's happening then and not next when I'll be flying on them... (but I'm not checking any of my bags!)