Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Helicopters at Intrepid Move...

Vintage Helicopters at Intrepid Move...

Hi All -

When the Intrepid was towed back to Manhattan recently, I ventured over to Battery Park & Battery Park City to get a few shots, but what I did not expect was the treat of three vintage helicopters...

While not terribly rare across the country, Schweizer 269s & Hughes 369s are hardly common amongst the many corporate, govt agency and tourist choppers we get in our area.... but what was a truly shocking sight was a Sikorsky S-55 in the air over the harbor. To see this over NYC in 2008 even trumps the wonderful work our favorite Long Island Warbird Museum's has done in preserving an airworthy S-58 (kudos for them for that btw..)

Sadly, your mediocre photographer here failed to adjust from shooting maritime subjects to a more appropriate shutter speed for choppers, so be warned....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Re: Vintage Helicopters at Intrepid Move...

Wow great stuff Tom, was this today?

Bill

Thanks Bill - I believe that was about Oct 1st or 2nd... Moose got some really nice shots of that event over in New Jersey here...

intrepid-returns-to-pier-86-october-2-lotta-pix-added-t13621s75.html

I am just running such a back log of shots - I still haven't processed the Floyd Bennett Fly-In from last year yet... :shock: There's just too much to shoot still.. can't ever catch up. I would've gone to JFK for the Qatar 777 & NW 757 w/winglets and then over to FRG for the DC-9-3, but the marathon has the Verrazano Bridge closed until 3pm for the marathon today so its just an editing day for me now...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

tom, that sikorsky is beautiful! nice work as usual.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Love the Magnum PI chopper! :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

You know, I could have sworn that was a Chickasaw I saw [bad choice of words] over in Weehawken during the move, but I thought my eyes were deceiving me. Glad you caught her up close!

Great shots. Love that S-55. Interesting that it is registered to a Sparta Rotors in Newton, NJ but you go to their
    website which really is just a cover page they have a Manhattan address and telephone #.

Apparently theres only 17 S-55s still listed as airworthy, (which probably means alot less than that). One was supposed to re-enact the 1st New York Airways flight last year, but I don't know if that ever happened or not. Didn't read about it. I guess the most notable one we've seen around the net is the one that had been doing the Grand Canyon tours a few years back.

Since this one is active locally (up to a point I guess..I certainly never saw it before, and I've been watching the skies over NYC for many years now) and we have the S-58 in Long Island, it would be nice to get them together at some point. Rotorfest should really see about recruiting them for their show next year.

On a related note, apparently only one S-62 is still active (up in Alaska perhaps?) although the Mid Atlantic Air Museum might keep theirs airworthy as well, I don't know. But, they're both in Coast Guard livery, including even the civil one in Alaska. Its a shame one of the Islanders Helicopters examples wasn't preserved as they were a fixture for a few years over New York and into Garden City Long Island. And, sadly, no images of it on either A.net or JP last I checked.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

By the way, that Red, White & Blue Schweizer 269 not only flew *under* the Verrazano Bridge preceding Fleetweek a couple of years back (the only other time I've ever seen it) but it actually flew *between* the base of the Bridge and landside (on the Brooklyn side) *while* under the bridge. Not necessarily an unsafe thing to do really, but certainly not standard procedure... :)

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Here's another view of the S-55.... a real eggbeater

"Keep 'em Flying"

now all we need is a BV107 in New York Airways colors !
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

[quote="Tom_Turner"]By the way, that Red, White & Blue Schweizer 269 not only flew *under* the Verrazano Bridge preceding Fleetweek a couple of years back (the only other time I've ever seen it) but it actually flew *between* the base of the Bridge and landside (on the Brooklyn side) *while* under the bridge. Not necessarily an unsafe thing to do really, but certainly not standard procedure... :)

Back when East 60 Street was in operation I used to see copters depart the heliport and make a quick right turn and zip under the
    Queensboro Bridge heading southbound. I forget where I read/heard but they were discouraged from doing that eventually. Having
    cables and such hanging from construction on the bridge probably was a good reason for that. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that first red white and blue chopper is based at my airport (CDW)
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory
    I'm pretty sure that first red white and blue chopper is based at my airport (CDW)
    N9623F has been around for awhile and its owned by a guy from Morris County.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Apparently theres only 17 S-55s still listed as airworthy, (which probably means alot less than that). One was supposed to re-enact the 1st New York Airways flight last year, but I don't know if that ever happened or not. Didn't read about it.
    The original S-55 that flew for New York Airways is now N111VA and currently sits 100 feet outside my office here at Compton/Woodley Airport. (I am actually looking at it as I type this). It was scheduled to fly back east last spring but shortly after takeoff from the airport lost power and made an emergency landing in a school parking lot. It was brought back to the airport where it now sits with the rotor blades removed

There is a web site dedicated to N111VA, http://www.s-55.net, although it hasn't been updated in a long time.

-Andrew