Thread: BFI & SEA

Program Coordinator

BFI & SEA

Well, my first trip to BFI was a bit late in the day today - so nothing really that great. But I got there - and caught some overhead SEA approaches.
    ISO 800 - small jpg and a few RAWs in there...
    For what they're worth:
    GA

UA 744

UPS 762

DC-8

Crappy BFI ramp shots:
    AF 772F

Dreamliner 772

738's

Various Other stuff:

Re: BFI & SEA

The image quality itself sure ain't great, but I dig the composition. And you did a great job considering the circumstances. Nice. :)

Program Coordinator

Thanks
    I'll be going out today at some point (bright sunny day!) to both SEA and BFI. I need to get used to where to go...some I'm kinda expecting a frustrating day with minimal reward but we'll see.

Jerslice, I'm not a local to the Seattle area but I was there recently in August and spent most of my time spotting at SEA, BFI, and PAE so if you have any questions regarding spots let me know and I'd be glad to help.

I would also strongly suggest making the 3 hour drive North to spot at YVR, it is extremely worth it.

Program Coordinator

I fully intend to head up to YVR several times while I live here.
    I'd be happy to get a list of spots you know of around the area - the spotting community 'round these parts is pretty dead so far as I can tell...

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice
    I fully intend to head up to YVR several times while I live here.
    I'd be happy to get a list of spots you know of around the area - the spotting community 'round these parts is pretty dead so far as I can tell...

When I was out in Seattle last October I met a number of spotters at BFI.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

When I spotted at SEA the runway configuration was on the 34's and most landings were on 34C and most take offs on 34R with the occasional Alaska landing on 34R. Now that 34L is in operation I'm not quite sure how things have changed but I imagine 34L is also used for landings. In the morning I spotted in the parking lot of a golf course which had a good view of all landings and even had a decent view of the aircraft taxiing to line up on runway 34R.

Example:

To get to the golf course (I advise parking all the way at the far end of the lot) you take 28th Ave S off of S 188th St. You then turn right onto S 192nd St and follow the road around the turn until it turns into 24th Ave S and turn to the right into the parking lot. In order to shoot departures you will need a ladder or to sit on top of your car but for arrivals you can shoot from the ground.

After 2pm the light had switched to the other side so I went over to Des Moines Memorial Drive and parked in one of the lots.

Example:

I hear the parking garage is also a decent spot for departures.

Spots at BFI and PAE are more easy to research but if you need help with those airports let me know.