Thread: Anyone good at golf?

Anyone good at golf?

I have problems hitting the driver. I'm good at hitting every other club long and straight, even the fairway woods. I just can't hit the driver consistently off the tee. I've tried adjusting my stance, changing the positioning of the club, everything. The problem is that I either slice it really bad or if I hit it straight, I hit it sky high. I know that if I hit it high it's because the club head goes under the ball on the tee. So, I usually position my club head 2-3 inches back during my setup stance. That works sometimes.

Also, my feet are generally shoulder-width apart and the ball is position across from my left foot (like it's supposed to me when you're driving). I notice when I position my feet narrower that I hit it straighter, but sky it. If I widen it too much, I slice.

Regardless, I can't hit the driver well at all and need suggestions on how to improve. I practice 2-3 times a week at the driving range. And no, I don't have an oversized driver head like those Koreans have. Mine is normal sized. Should I get a new club?

Re: Anyone good at golf?

I will also add that when I do the drawback for the swing, my left arm is ALWAYS straight, so I don't think that is a big problem. I figure it's the positioning of the ball or my stance somehow, but I don't know.

Nick's the Golf Pro...I'm sure he can help you out.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Remember that the driver is the longest club thus any mistake we make will be magnified that many times in ball flight. A slice (shot that starts at the target but in flight goes right for the right hander and left for the left hander) is a result of your clubface being open at impact. More times than not this is a result from tension in the arms or hands which inhibits the club swinging freely and the face being square at impact. Which will give you the dreaded slice. I can't comment on your shot that goes high in the air. As for your left arm it can't stay perfectly straight because that will promote tension. Try to think of the people who are adept with whips. If you watch them you will see all their moving parts flow and move with no interference. A professional tennis player when he or she is hitting those killer groundstrokes, nothing but fluid movement which produces power with no effort.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I took your comments to heart when I went to the driving range yesterday and I noticed dramatic improvement, even with my irons. My driver still needs a lot of work. While not as pronounced, the slice is still there, though I am hitting a greater number of straight shots.

Good, also remember to check your set up and address positions. You need that to be solid to get the club back to the ball squarely. By the way that will be 60 bucks. No checks I only accept paypal. :mrgreen:
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Oh man...I went today and this guy who was next to me told me my swing was bad as it was one of those "tilt" swings (I jerk my hips pretty strong) and it would eventually **** up my knees and back if I continue doing it. He was the best guy I have ever seen at that driving range, so I believed him. But after following his advice, I'm awful now.

I'm thinking about getting that Medicus Driver, 5 Iron and 7 Iron. They're expensive, but probably worth it. The guy who was advising me told me they were the best tools he ever used.

You ever tried the Medicus?

I went today and this guy who was next to me told me my swing was bad as it was one of those "tilt" swings
    Ok so now your listening to range rats? Everyone at the range has an opinion. Unfortunately most of them are wrong.

I'm awful now
    See?

You ever tried the Medicus?
    Yea I own one but I would work on getting your fundamentals down first. I would also suggest buying a couple of books on the golf swing.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Finally something Nick knows about and can raelly sink his teeth into!

Bonanza, why don't you enlist Nick to help you out?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187