Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Bloomberg Will Run for Third Term

Re: Report: Bloomberg Will Run for Third Term

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    But given that overturning term limits would also allow the Council to run again, do you think they would put up any significant opposition?
    Nope. They know whats best for the city and they love their jobs..

The single person most in need of a "term limit" is Shelly Silver at this point. Its really Albany that needs to be cleaned up, but thats probably never going to happen.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

The term limits law was voted in mainly because people were sick of our useless city council members doing nothing for decades at at time.
    Come on Matt, we are not going to play monday morning quarterback with a bill that passed 15 years ago? Term limits was proposed, put to a vote and it passed. Now because it doesn't suit your pick from NYC governor it passed for the wrong reasons?

The city and especially the state were on the fast track to broke even with the billions they were pulling in from Wall St, which is where they got 10% of their tax revenue from. Even if there is a successful bailout plan, when all is said and done tens of thousands of jobs in the city are going to be lost directly (bankers, bank administrative staff, janitors in those banks' skyscrapers) and indirectly (restaurants, cigar shops, and strippers those bankers will no longer frequent). Thousands of apartments where those folks lived, and even large apartment buildings themselves are going to be foreclosed upon. Property tax revenues are going to plummet.
    Matt this happens all the time. Car dealerships, IBM, bars, businesses everywhere downsizes and lay people off when the economy slows down and starts up again when it turns. It has been happening since the beginning of time and will continue long after we are dust. Doesn't mean Bloomberg is the chosen one and the only guy qualified to be mayor of NYC nor does it mean the city will collapse if he doesn't try to circumvent term limits.

Nick if you lived in NYC, saw conditions already beginning to deteriorate, and knew anything about the sorry alternatives we are going to have in the next election, you'd probably be a bit skittish, too.
    Do you think NYC is the only geographical area that is experiencing this? Matt come on you are looking at this from a very narrow, insular point of view. Nassua, Suffolk hell the whole country is going through this. I spoke to some friends in Nevada where I winter and they are all hurting. Doesn't mean that no other candidate can run the show. Your getting way ahead of the situation. If you can already tell two years down the road that the other candidates for NYC mayor are going to be inferior to bloomberg can you tell me who win the super bowl this year and what the score will be?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, good points as always, but odds are overwhelming a Bloomberg alternative will be some career politician owing favors to their contributors, their party etc. not some great leader.

Rudy and now Bloomberg are historical anomalies. Despite their faults, we've been very lucky in my view. These guys are overseeing a bigger budget and more folks and services than say, the Governor of Arkansas or some feckless Senator. It is a big deal.

I hope you're right about the economy, but just remember Rome only last a thousand years give or take, and we're not quite there even. Of course, having a $hitload of nukes might count for something at the end of the day. (or might not).

I've seen it suggested the monetary system gets reinvented every few decades or so and we might have more stability if we based the world currency on heroin.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    These guys are overseeing a bigger budget and more folks and services than say, the Governor of Arkansas or some feckless Senator.
    I think you meant the Governor of Alaska or some feckless Senator. :D

Maybe you guys are right - maybe Bloomberg is planning to fund the city out of his own pocket. Then it would be a good idea to keep him around.

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Do you think NYC is the only geographical area that is experiencing this? Matt come on you are looking at this from a very narrow, insular point of view. Nassua, Suffolk hell the whole country is going through this. I spoke to some friends in Nevada where I winter and they are all hurting. Doesn't mean that no other candidate can run the show. Your getting way ahead of the situation. If you can already tell two years down the road that the other candidates for NYC mayor are going to be inferior to bloomberg can you tell me who win the super bowl this year and what the score will be?
    Nick I'm not usually such a doom and gloomer. I'm one of the most optimistic people I know. But when I think back to not that long ago, not even half a generation ago, when vast swaths of the city were simply unnavigable without weapons, and violent street crime had begun creeping into traditionally "nice" neighborhoods well outside the traditionally "bad" neighborhoods, and I think about who was in charge back then, it's friggin' scary. Why? Because one thing is almost 100% certain: Bloomberg's replacement will be another Democrat with ancestors from Tammany Hall, maybe not in the same vein as Dinkins and Koch and Boss Tweed, but still answering to some of the same old hacks who haven't died yet.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Gotham's right. When the economy is in the pooper, crime tends to go up (which it is already), and I think that with we need someone who will be tough on crime and quality of life in addition to the economy, which I think Bloomberg has proven. I am getting older, and God forbid I have kids, I don't want them growing up in an NYC thatis similar to what it was in the 70s and 80s.

What's the harm in him seeking a 3rd term? If people don't want it, then they can vote and show it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].