Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LGA Tower

New LGA Tower

I visited LGA on Sat as the weather was OK (except for a low ceiling and a slight drizzle). I was surprised to see that the new Control Tower was up. I never read anything about this anywhere. I am curious about when it's supposed to be open for use and if the old Tower will be demolished or hopefully, will stay intact, just as the old Tower in LAX was. I am also curious about the height. After my visit, I took the Q48 bus, which circled the airport and visited Shea. Had fun.

Re: New LGA Tower

The old tower will be removed, unfortunately. Apparently it will partially obstruct the new tower's view of the airfield. I believe it's set to go online sometime next year.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That old tower is hideous

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    i disagree. it's unique, and it's also a landmark. last time i was up in the FAA tower i took a picture of the print-out they had of the new tower. i'll post it when i get home as i've already taken it off my phone, but i still prefer the look of the old tower to the new one.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    i disagree. it's unique, and it's also a landmark. last time i was up in the FAA tower i took a picture of the print-out they had of the new tower. i'll post it when i get home as i've already taken it off my phone, but i still prefer the look of the old tower to the new one.
    Agreed, it is quite a unique structure to the airport.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    The old tower will be removed, unfortunately. Apparently it will partially obstruct the new tower's view of the airfield. I believe it's set to go online sometime next year.
    I have been told by PANYNJ officials the old tower will not be totally removed due to landmark status. The radar will be removed to cut down on the obstruction.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

The old LGA tower almost reminds me of a Light House. It had architectural character (as did the one EWR).

Glad they're saving (some of) it.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

here is what my future office is going to look like:

it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    here is what my future office is going to look like
    You apply OTS? Got a class date?

Wait, what happened to that twirling building design they had?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Wait, what happened to that twirling building design they had?
    it was done away with, why i don't know. i'm guessing that since they had very limited space to build in and needed to add an office building in addition to just a tower it wasn't going to work. besides, that was ugly...

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the old LGA Tower, just like the old JFK Tower, was beautiful. Several news articles this week said that Shea Stadium is ugly and that they can't wait for it to get demolished. I consider Shea to be beautiful. I found the neon art showing the baseball players, to be unique and beautiful. Now, it will be turned into a parking lot.

I took a shot today of the new LGA being built

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the old LGA Tower, just like the old JFK Tower, was beautiful. Several news articles this week said that Shea Stadium is ugly and that they can't wait for it to get demolished. I consider Shea to be beautiful. I found the neon art showing the baseball players, to be unique and beautiful. Now, it will be turned into a parking lot.
    I always appreciated the LGA and EWR towers, but thought the previous "tower" at JFK was more akin to an office building. Isn't that what it was in essence?

The best I can say for it is it didn't detract particularly from the rest of JFK, back when JFK was actually a beautiful airport, with the fountains and earlier terminals, its true.

As for Shea Stadium, I didn't mind it either as a design, but it had been become a dump internally many years ago. I also think those neon signs of baseball players were added in the 80s or 90s. Shea's original exterior was quite different (in the 60s, 70s,).

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"