Thread: The Dead Camera Thread

The Dead Camera Thread

I figured I would kick it off with my newest door stop

and the last picture it took :(

I currently have a Finpix that is about the same quality as my cameraphone.
    Looks like my shooting days are over for a while :cry:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: The Dead Camera Thread

What actually broke on it?

How many photos did you take with it?

RIP!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Press the button and the camera locks up and stay's on... I can not get the mirror or the shutter to open. I pushed the mirror up by hand and it feels clear. The hood over the sensor will not open either (I did not know one even existed until pushing up the mirror.

I have no idea how may shutter clicks it has...but I would guess about 200-300k.... That is not a typo

It is really dead....dead dead!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Maybe you just wore out the shutter release button contact or something.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

nope...pressing the shutter button locks the camera... on. I must pull the battery.

Fred, pull & recharge the battery. Then try it again.
    Cant hurt.

I have 3 batteries always fully charged....Night photography takes alot of energy. With my off camera flashes being triggered optically from the on camera flash, I can go thru 2 batteries in a given night.

I had similar issues with my Rebel XT when I used it with my Canon 70-200 F4 L lens. When I would push the shutter button, the camera would intermittently lock up. The autofocus dots would blink, but it wouldn't release the shutter. If I tried to turn it off, the back of the camera would stay lit for about ten seconds and then dim out. I sent it back to Canon three times before they finally gave me a new lens, which seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently there was a miscommunication between the body and the lens that was causing it to crash. You may want to check it out. Good luck.

I get the same result when trying to lift the mirror and open the shutter in cleaning mode....and I do not have any lens on for that. But even knowing that, Yes I tried every lens I own.
    I never had the faith, but was hoping for a miracle.

Wow..Fred I'm so sorry to hear the bad news...I can't begin to imagine how you feel. Hopefully you can get back in the game soon. Seriously you caputure an amazing amount of action, its really a loss not having you "out there" so to speak.

I don't know many people who know cameras as well as Fred, so if he says it's dead....it's probably pretty darn dead. haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Very sorry to hear that Fred.

In 2001 my first camera the Canon AE1P http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ae1p fell out of wardrobe and stopped working I have the camera displayed for sentimental reasons.

In fall 2001 I got my 2nd camera the EOS 3 https://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos3.htm but in May 2003 that was nearly wrecked as while taking photos of Concorde at Heathrow I slipped on some gravel and fell badly, the camera's paint work was scratched a bit but to this day the EOS 3 still works like it was new :)

Yea, sorry to hear about that too Fred. i totaly agree with what Tommy said in post #10
    You could always take it to one of the camera repair shop to see what they think.
    Who knows it could be pretty simple to fix.
    But wow, 200k-300k thats a lot. goes shows ya how durable that thing can be.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

I think the posted shutter count is way low too. It is not worth having it looked at. I need to get a new camera. If I really wanted the XT back, I could buy one for $400 on ebay new. 40D has to be the next step, or I will just be waisting money. I really wish I could get the 50D but that is just not possible. I am soo depressed :(