Thread: Jet Blue Near-Miss ?

Jet Blue Near-Miss ?

My friends' brother says that during the last week of August, his Jet Blue flight to LAS from NYC almost ended in tragedy. His flight, while approaching LAS, suddenly dropped 3000 feet to avoid collision with another aircraft. His flight, he said, was diverted to Ontario, CA and sat on the tarmac for hours. Unfortunately, I have no other information except that he was given an $800 voucher. Has anybody heard about this near-miss?

Re: Jet Blue Near-Miss ?

I'd be surprised if the crew actually TOLD the people they were involved in a near collision.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    My friends' brother says that during the last week of August, his Jet Blue flight to LAS from NYC almost ended in tragedy. His flight, while approaching LAS, suddenly dropped 3000 feet to avoid collision with another aircraft. His flight, he said, was diverted to Ontario, CA and sat on the tarmac for hours.

A 3000' drop to avoid a collision sounds very suspect....

I agree that something doesn't sound right. Maybe it's an exaggeration. The crew had to say something to the passengers since the jet got diverted to ONT. He also said that the other aircraft climbed to avoid the collision near LAS. I have no other facts. The pilot had no choice but to tell the passengers what had happened as the sudden dive must have scared them.

nothing listed on the NTSB list for August. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Ok...if he was headed to LAS from NYC and this did happen why would the plane get diverted to ONT? A near miss would have nothing to do with diverting a plane 100s of miles. Vegas had some wild weather in Aug and often times the approach into Vegas can be very ruff due to high winds. The story probably goes, the plane was getting bounced around, dropped in Alt a bit which to some might feel like thousands of feet, the plane got diverted due to WX at LAS, and sat their until conditions improved at LAS.

Sounds like a fish story to me...

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Ok...if he was headed to LAS from NYC and this did happen why would the plane get diverted to ONT? A near miss would have nothing to do with diverting a plane 100s of miles.

KONT, Ontario, CAlifornia...not Canada.
    "lol retart"

[quote=stuart schechter]
    Quote Originally Posted by "T-Bird76":3jtaxd9n
    Ok...if he was headed to LAS from NYC and this did happen why would the plane get diverted to ONT? A near miss would have nothing to do with diverting a plane 100s of miles.

KONT, Ontario, CAlifornia...not Canada.[/quote:3jtaxd9n]

Stuart before chimming in assuming something, go study a map....LAS is 230 miles away from ONT...hence "100s of miles."