So the one person in my whole company who actually reports to me and I had to be in Jacksonville to train a new reseller today. We decided to fly Jet Blue because it was about $100 less than any of the competition once the 7 day window passed (we did not confirm until 5 days out).

Since the wifey is in Italy I am using her hybrid to drive around in--it averages 27MPG (not bad for an SUV)-nuff said. I picked up my associate and we headed off to JFK-just about NO traffic, and an easy ride, we arrive in plenty of time for the flight.

Getting to the security checkpoint, the one negative thing about Jet Blue--too many rookies or Kettles as we call them--people digging through their bags for stuff which has to come out just as they get to the machines. The problem was exascerbated by the fact that they only had 2 lanes open, so there was a bit of a bottleneck. JFK is not set up well for TSA-I only hope it's set up better with expert lanes when they open T5.

Through security to gate 7, with almost no seating. Flight shows on time, and the crew has gone on board. Looking good. Then about 10 minutes prior to scheduled boarding an announcement was made that there is a "maintenance issue" and mechanics are on board checking it out. It is a simple communication, but lets people know what's going on.

About 20 minutes later, they announce that the airplane is out of service - cannot be flown. They are trying to get another aircraft to operate the flight. What happened was a baggage truck backed into the engine--ouch- ironic since this was the absolute newest A320 in the fleet--I think I know a ramper who has a lot of 'splaining to do.

A short while later, they made an announcement that a replacement aircraft has been found and is being towed to the gate--Gate 6 next gate over. Finally, we are boarded, and the airplane is buttoned up about 1 hour past the scheduled departure time. Overall it was a well handled and well thought out response-they realized that there were no other flights on B6 to JAX that day, and they tried very hard to find the replacement aircraft, which they did.

We taxied out to 31L, which is basically on the other side of the airport, and finally took off. Climbing up to altitude, the Direct TV was nice to have, especially for the map (which could have benefitted from ATC communications). One round of beverages were followed by a snack tray--the blue chips were not bad actually.

I stretched out and read for a bit -- the first 5 rows and the exit rows have at least 38 in pitch, but even the regular rows have 3-4 inches more than US. Other than the narrower 3 seat configuration, this was as much legroom as US in F!

The rest of the flight was relatively uneventful, arriving about 1 hour late, with many apologies given along the way. We picked up the rental car, which was nice for a change (Caddy STS), and hit the hotel to do some work before dinner. We had NO idea where to go near the airport so we drove downtown and had dinner at Ruths Chris, located in the Crowne Plaza. I forgot how GOOD that place is.

Our meeting went well, and we left for the airport around 2:30PM, arriving just before 3, for a 4:40 flight. I was able to retrieve my boarding pass very easily from the kiosk, and was greeted by a friendly attendant who was more than happy to look up the status of the inbound flight. Everything appeared to be running early, which was a good sign.

Through security, on to the gate, I sat to do some people watching. US gates are directly opposite B6 in JAX, so I was able to see US agents boarding 2 flights--in one case, they had been paging the last 2 passengers for about 10 minutes, and they ran up at 10 prior to departure, and the agent was actually debating whether to let them on. She did, but the look on her face actually frightened me--I couldn't hear what she was saying but she was PISSED at these people. She looked like a teacher giving a scolding to a student, but finally they got on, and the flight still left early.

Our craft arrived 15 minutes early, and they deplaned quickly, did the cleanup, and actually began boarding us 10 minutes ahead of the planned time. I settled into my row (exit again), and did the back and forth with the verbal confirmation by the FA, then put the BOSE on and played with the TV again (I am liking this).

We took off and headed north, climbing over some bad weather in Northern Georgia and the Carolinas. I was watching Judge Judy and MSNBC (I love Maria Bartiromo-I confess), alternating between laughs and concerns over my Bank of America stock. By 5PM I was able to watch the NY local news, as Fox, NBC and CBS local NY feeds are used on Direct TV at Jet Blue.

There were apparently some excellent tail winds, and we started our approach to JFK very early, almost 30 minutes prior to scheduled arrival. JFK was landing 22L, which means a tour of Long Island on the approach. We flew directly over my old neighborhood, and i was able to identify Roosevelt Field, the Nassau Coliseum, Jones Beach theater, as well as my old firehouse on Hempstead Turnpike. It was also helpful since I could see very little traffic on my route home!

We landed and taxied to the gate, off the airplane 22 minutes early! In the car and home in record time, including dropping off my associate.

This is about the 4th time I am flying Jet Blue, and I am getting to the point where I might consider them for a transcon at some point!!!! Imagine that!

Well done Jet Blue!