Thread: L1011 at SFB

L1011 at SFB

Hey, everyone:

I haven't posted anything in quite a while, but with Senga's help, I caught a L1011 at Orlando-Sanford (SFB) today. When XL Airlines closed up last Thursday, they left quite a few tourists stranded in the Orlando area. As I understand it, Monarch Airlines is working with the CAA to help get these folks back to the UK.

This Luzair L1011 was flying today as Monarch flight 60R from Gatwick to SFB, and then back to Gatwick. I'm not certain this aircraft was part of Monarch's efforts to rescue the stranded XL Airlines passengers, but I am speculating that is so.

In any case, Senga alerted me on Saturday that this L1011 was at SFB, so I drove over there. It was scheduled to depart SFB for LGW at 5:00pm. After it hadn't even called clearance delivery by 5:45, and with my bride of 25 years giving me 'the look', I gave up. It finally departed late, but returned again Sunday afternoon.

With L1011s very rare around here, it was worth the second trip back to SFB to catch her today!

Thanks again to Senga for giving me the heads up.

Steve

Re: L1011 at SFB

WOW! Great catch, Steve! :D

Greets,
    -Omar S.

Very nice catch, Steve. I was admiring some of your shots that you posted over on Detroit Spotters earlier today.

Some of us got screwed over by that L-1011 at JFK a couple of weeks back when it was operating for Zoom, it arrived very delayed. At least we got Wunala!

This ship does seem to have a habit of running late. Over an hour late Saturday afternoon SFB to LGW. Nearly two hours late Sunday SFB to LGW.

I'm keeping my eyes open to see if it comes back to SFB for more XL Airline hostages.

Awesome Shots!!!

If it comes into SFB again if we could post it on the board that would be awesome....Im back in Daytona :roll: for the semester so I'd be fast to drive to SFB for it!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Looks like its coming in today again... too late for me to make the drive down I-4 in time :(
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true