Thread: S-92 On 22Left

S-92 On 22Left

It was a little after 10 this morning and I was in my bedroom with the shower running AND the TV on when I was still able to hear the sound of an
    approaching helicopter. I knew from the sound of the engines that it was a big Sikorsky. Looked out to see a BIG blue/white Sikorsky pass overheard
    around 2000 feet heading to the NW. Wish I had my binocs but they were downstairs. Grabbed my scanner and after a few minutes I heard helicopter
    N92UT talking to JFK on 119.1 and they were heading into JFK on the 22 Left approach!! I was hoping someone was out at JFK spotting this morning
    but checking a thread on the "Spotting" board looks like most decided to stay home. Weather sure did turn summery in the afternoon didnt it?

Re: S-92 On 22Left

We actually had them here at KFRG about 2 months ago.. give or take.. All i remember about them is the prob wash killed me and i have never seen a helo that big!.... georgous looking bird thou

N92UT - United Technologies Corp. I believe this might be the same one that did a photo shoot around the Statue Liberty one day last year.

Here's an image..

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/109536.html

Not often to see a helicopter on one of the main airport approaches, but I remember some years ago watching a Coast Guard Dauphin from Planeview Park doing exactly that on approach to LGA.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Thanks guys.
    Those stub wings for the wheels sure make it look big.

On a day when the weather is IFR ( less than 3mi vis and 1000ft ceiling ) you will see and/or hear helis shooting the ILS to LGA and break off the approach for a S-VFR over to Manhattan.