Thread: US2188, 11 September 2008

US2188, 11 September 2008

Good evening. I was on US2188 last night from DCA to LGA.. Anybody who works for US, do you know the exact tail number of the aircraft that operated this flight? I was unable to see it from either gate. I filmed the WTC lights from the window, but when I upload to YouTube, I like to include the aircraft registration in the video itself. I understand if I wait two months, I can get this info from BTS (http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_inf ... statistics), but I want to post the video as soon as possible.

Help is much appreciated, thanks! =)

KNOWN INFO:
    US Airways Shuttle 2188 (DCA-LGA)
    11 September 2008
    Departed Gate C/43 at 21.05
    Arrived Gate US/19 at 22.00
    Aircraft: A319 in new colors

Prior to operating US2188, it operated these flights:
    US2187 LGA-DCA, Arrived Gate at 20.33
    US2180, DCA-LGA, Arrived Gate at 18.14
    US2179, LGA-DCA, Arrived Gate at 16:38
    Christos

Re: US2188, 11 September 2008

Hey Michael,

according to the local ACARS system, your flight was operated by N748UW. I'll look out for that video!

Greets,
    -Omar S.

Thanks so much for the info! I have posted the video on YouTube, and the link is featured in a new thread. I decided it wasn't appropriate for the General Discussion.

11 September 2008, LGA-DCA-LGA (Video)
    11-september-2008-lga-dca-lga-video-t13476.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Christos

Michael, jrans info is correct, and sorry but I was off from about 10 mins before you posted this thread (2300 Friday night) until now.

I watched both video's, very cool and while you where attending a somber occasion, but I hope you had a good experience on US?

A couple of ironic twists. Getting to see both the Pentegon and WTC site from the air on 9-11, thanks in part to runways/approaches in use for landing and being on the correct (right) side of the aircraft. must have been a unique experiance? The view coming up the Hudson at night for the 22 (or 13) approach is one of the most spectacular IMO in commercial aviation.

And according to our acars info your flight 2188 was airbourne from DCA exactly at 2111 or 9:11PM on 9-11.

Cheers

LGA777

Ron, it wasn't coincidence I filmed both the Pentagon and WTC =)

Just before choosing a seat at the airport departing to DCA, I called ATIS and they were conducting the River Visual into Runway 19. Having once flown that approach, I knew the right side of the aircraft would be perfect. The return flight was a bit tricky; I called ATIS and LGA was conducting the ILS approach into Runway 22. I wasn't sure if the aircraft would go up the Hudson or slightly over the East River and then over Manhattan. I stuck with my instinct and stayed on the right side of the aircraft. Sure enough, just after departure, the captain informed us we would be heading up the Hudson and anyone seated on the right would get a view. It was a wonderful experience!

Thanks for pointing out our wheels-off time as 21.11. I write down all times (taxi-out, wheels-off, wheels-on, taxi-in, ecc) while on the aircraft, and recorded the wheels-off at exactly that time; I did not realize 9:11 until you made your post. US Airways was great to fly with, but it is somehow hard to judge because the airborne time for both was 40 minutes and 45 minutes respectively. The on-time arrivals were great though.

Once again, I will make a thread reviewing my flights and the Pentagon Memorial.
    Christos

Quote Originally Posted by fly.mcs
    The return flight was a bit tricky; I called ATIS and LGA was conducting the ILS approach into Runway 22. I wasn't sure if the aircraft would go up the Hudson or slightly over the East River and then over Manhattan. I stuck with my instinct and stayed on the right side of the aircraft.
    Glad things worked out Michael, now here is a tip on 22 arrivals. When LGA is landing 22 but departing Runway 13 (very comon) arrivals from the South and West fly the same approach you did, the ILS 22 approach. When LGA is departing 31 then those same 22 arrivals fly the LDA Alpha approach, and fly east of Manhattan and LGA making a left side window more desirable. Just a little tip for trying to improve the chances of picking the correct side. The Shuttle is great for getting a window seat on weekday because most Shuttle customers are the aisle seat kinda crowd.

LGA777