Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shame on the NY Times and Post

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: Shame on the NY Times and Post

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    A-To many times in the past we forgot about evil we've faced for it to repeat itself. Mario if someone harmed your family would you forget about that evil in time, no you wouldn’t, and the evil faced that day should never be forgotten.

B-I don't think it’s the responsibility of either paper to run a front page 9/11 remembrance story..... However there are certain events in our lifetime where good taste and social responsibility must come first.

C- Are the events of 12/7/45 somehow more significant then the events of 9/11/01? The NY Times seems to think so. Defend it to your blue in the face but the majority of Patriotic Americans would agree that the Social Marxist style of the Times is wrong.
    A-Tom, my point is simple. We all grieve differently. I don't need every paper to follow lock and step and run a front page on the obvious. And if people need a paper to remember, that belies a far deeper problem. Perhaps its the optimist in me. Just yesterday I was thinking that we need to make 9/10 a holiday, in remembrance of the way things were prior to 9-11. That is not to take away from 9-11 but unfortunately some would see it as so.

B- It may not be their responsibility, but what you were highlighting was that those 2 papers did not make it FRONT story.(that was in your first paragrapf) If they mentioned it, then they've done their social duties.

C- I'm not defending anyone.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Tommy, I want to buy you a beer. Bravo dude. Bravo.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

B- It may not be their responsibility, but what you were highlighting was that those 2 papers did not make it FRONT story.(that was in your first paragraph) If they mentioned it, then they've done their social duties.
    Not true...they failed at their social duty. You don't put a Pig with Lip stick over the anniversary of 9/11 plain and simple and you are the minority if you think what they did was right.

A-Tom, my point is simple. We all grieve differently. I don't need every paper to follow lock and step and run a front page on the obvious. And if people need a paper to remember, that belies a far deeper problem. Perhaps it’s the optimist in me. Just yesterday I was thinking that we need to make 9/10 a holiday, in remembrance of the way things were prior to 9-11. That is not to take away from 9-11 but unfortunately some would see it as so.
    Problem is Mario its not obvious to many people today...many in this nation have become complacent. You might not have but many have. Large institutions that sway people's opinion must keep in mind that events like this must be brought to the center of attention to serve as reminders of what we once had.

C- I'm not defending anyone.
    Perhaps not but your justifying a social injustice. Again while these two papers have the right to do what they want sometimes that right has to be put aside for what is morally just.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Tommy it's the NY Times. Why would this even surprise you. Their track record since this election started has been terrible. You would think out of respect they would devote most of their front page to the fact it is the anniversay of 9/11 but I guess not.

Not to change the subject but I found the fact that Michelle Obama did not join her husband in paying respect today at the site today disturbing. Seeing Cindy McCain behind her husband as they walked and not Michelle Obama was just another instance where I lose respect for her. Your asking for our vote yet you can't take a morning out of your life and come to a state (which your husband will most likely win) and show us you care just a little about what happened to us. Shame.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Not true...they failed at their social duty. You don't put a Pig with Lip stick over the anniversary of 9/11 plain and simple and you are the minority if you think what they did was right.
    Are you kidding me? So they failed b/c they didn't make 9/11 their front page story? Have a glass of vino and chill. It's America and they exercised their freedom to do what they chose. Not once did I say they were right but can see perhaps why they chose not to.

Problem is Mario its not obvious to many people today...many in this nation have become complacent. You might not have but many have. Large institutions that sway people's opinion must keep in mind that events like this must be brought to the center of attention to serve as reminders of what we once had.
    And where are you deriving that many have become complacent? Even NYPD police commissioner Ray Kelly was quoted today saying the city is on watchful. He thinks terrorists want to strike again but they are waiting until we get complacent. 7 years they've waited for that complacency. Perhaps we have not put down our guard as you think we have.

Perhaps not but your justifying a social injustice. Again while these two papers have the right to do what they want sometimes that right has to be put aside for what is morally just.
    Be careful when you accuse me of justifying when I simply have offered an alternative POV Justifying implies that what the papers did was right and I am advocating it.

Lastly, the media and morality are like oil and water. It shouldnt surprise you that morality is not in their parlance.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Tommy it's the NY Times. Why would this even surprise you. Their track record since this election started has been terrible. You would think out of respect they would devote most of their front page to the fact it is the anniversay of 9/11 but I guess not.

Not to change the subject but I found the fact that Michelle Obama did not join her husband in paying respect today at the site today disturbing. Seeing Cindy McCain behind her husband as they walked and not Michelle Obama was just another instance where I lose respect for her. Your asking for our vote yet you can't take a morning out of your life and come to a state (which your husband will most likely win) and show us you care just a little about what happened to us. Shame.
    Not to change the subject but yada yada yada.....And where was Sarah Palin? Why haven't you noted that? Oh, sending her son off to war and tending to her family. And yet her absence does not imply Palin doesnt care.

Perhaps Michelle Obama had family issues to deal with as well?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... miche.html

There is a lot to be said about benefit of the doubt.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Are you kidding me? So they failed b/c they didn't make 9/11 their front page story? Have a glass of vino and chill. It's America and they exercised their freedom to do what they chose. Not once did I say they were right but can see perhaps why they chose not to.
    Yes they failed. Yes they excised their freedom to do what they chose and they choose the wrong path.

And where are you deriving that many have become complacent? Even NYPD police commissioner Ray Kelly was quoted today saying the city is on watchful. He thinks terrorists want to strike again but they are waiting until we get complacent. 7 years they've waited for that complacency. Perhaps we have not put down our guard as you think we have.
    The mere point the Times and Post decided to do what they did is proof some don't think its important anymore.

Lastly, the media and morality are like oil and water. It shouldnt surprise you that morality is not in their parlance.
    Your right and most of the time I'd expect it...in this case I thought they had more taste then that. I guess I'm more naive then I thought.

Not naive. You assumed they'd pull though and do the right thing.

Next time, just give them the benefit of the doubt

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

.....And where was Sarah Palin
    LOL, yes Mario, where was Biden, where was Rice, Where was everybody? Palin is not asking for your vote as POTUS she is a VP election candiadate not a President. Obama is, and his wife should have accompanied him to an area on a date that is important to many people. It's ok she can have a free pass. After this election she will have a lot of free time to come visit and say she is sorry.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Why I am not surprised by such ridiculous justification? :roll: :roll: Such comments make Matt Damon look credible.

No one is faulting Palin, and yes, she is a step away from POTUS. A stoke, a heart attack, a breath away from the position. Failure to realize this is myopic.

Your lack of clarity in realizing how important a VP is, by dismissing her, perhaps illustrates that perhaps you aren't ready to make such proper choices.

For future reference, keep your political banter in the appropriate forum rather then try and inject your skewed political views in off topic posts.

Mario, I think what Nick is trying to say is this....
    Michelle Obama is Barrack's wfe and she should have been there to support him.
    Sarah Palin is John McCain's running mate. His WIFE Cindy was there.
    Joe Biden, Obama's running mate, who is also a heart attack, stroke, gunshot, away from the Presidency was not there either. This was about the POTUS candidates and thier families only.

The link Mario posted seems to give a pretty solid reason for Michelle not being present.

Honestly, I think McCain and Obama showing up was enough. Bringing the running mates and their spouses just makes it a bigger spectacle, and draws attention away from what the day is all about. I'm sure they've all paid their respects at ground zero at one point or another.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    This was about the POTUS candidates and thier families only.
    John, I realize that, but to talk only of POTUS is an error in judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    The link Mario posted seems to give a pretty solid reason for Michelle not being present.
    I've no problem with it.

and draws attention away from what the day is all about.
    And some folks, as you clearly saw above, fall for it, hook, line, sinker.

I agree with Matt that I think its enough that Obama and McCain were there, anymore would have been a Horse and Pony show.

9/11 is a sharp topic for this country with many having varied views of what's right and wrong. It's my opinion that companies that influence the public must be socially responsible and keep this event in the forefront. I've never stated it is their obligation to run 9/11 front cover news but it is a social responsibility which is a choice. The Times and Post could run Mario's Moon over Maho for all I care. However there are times in the course our existence that doing the right thing over what you can do must take precedent. It’s my view what the Times and Post did were wrong and as a consumer I will speak with my wallet and not utilize their product any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I agree with Matt that I think its enough that Obama and McCain were there, anymore would have been a Horse and Pony show.
    Yeah, Matt hit it best, which is why I looked past the Michelle nonsense.

Some are lemmings when it comes to what the news feeds them.

Did Bush come to Ground Zero this year?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"