Thread: 13L ILS

13L ILS

Guys they're using the 13L ILS. I wish I was there, I've never seen that approach before. This is the first time I've ever heard of the ILS 13L.
    "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
    — Leonardo da Vinci

Re: 13L ILS

The only other time I saw it, there was a major storm in the area, and I was on a plane coming home from Jamaica. Scary flight!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Did they use the 31s earlier today? If so, it would mean they used all 4 runways in one day. Mid afternoon, around 3pm or so, I heard arrivals in the soup over Syosset. Called ATIS to find they were on ILS 22L/R. About half an hour later, they were on ILS 4L/R, and now they're on the 13s. Has to be a fun day in the tower!

Yup, they used all 4 ! Lol. I was gonna go for a bit, but the rain started to get really bad so I just stayed home. Would have been to hectic anyway.
    "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
    — Leonardo da Vinci

Here is what a N90 Controller said about Saturdays ops

"I worked tonight & we at Approach questioned why we were still landing on 4R. After 3 a/c in a row missed approach, we changed to 13L. As you probably know, ILS13L is not something that is used very often because of its effect on other airports."

Interesting :shock:

I was just walking home from school and saw an air china takeoff off of 13L. (I live in valley stream). About 15 minutes after that I saw a Qantas 747, which I think was a go-around. It still had it's landing gear down? Do you know why some planes do this on a go-around?
    — Leonardo da Vinci

hmmm, I'll answer this one for you guys...

13L was used for ILS because 13R was down for rewiring the localizer antenna...

there is still a few more localizers that need to be rewired so OPS will be alittle different in the approaching months...

Medford:
    I thought there was no ILS13R approach, confirm?

There is not. There is only the VOR/GPS 13L/R and Parkway Visual 13L/R approach.
    "lol retart"

Quote Originally Posted by PHL Approach
    Here is what a N90 Controller said about Saturdays ops

"I worked tonight & we at Approach questioned why we were still landing on 4R. After 3 a/c in a row missed approach, we changed to 13L. As you probably know, ILS13L is not something that is used very often because of its effect on other airports."
    I miss that approach greatly. It was used a bit more often in the late 60s, early 70s (still unusual though). Mostly in storms, but there were some exceptions. It was quite a sight to see 747s, 707s, VC-10 etc, crossing underneath the LGA approach over Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"