Thread: Hanna Could Land Direct Hit on NYC/Long Island

Hanna Could Land Direct Hit on NYC/Long Island

The forecast tracks keep shifting back and forth, but it seems pretty certain now Tropical Storm Hanna, which is expected to strengthen back into a hurricane today, will make landfall in the Carolinas, and then curve up the east coast, possibly back over the ocean where it could regain some strength before making landfall again somewhere between Jersey and Cape Cod on Saturday. It is also possible it will remain inland the whole time, in which case we'd get some heavy rain and wind gusts but not much else. We shall see... safe to say either way this will be a crummy weekend for outdoor activities. :(

National Hurricane Center forecast:

Computer models:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Hanna Could Land Direct Hit on NYC/Long Island

The good thing about the remnants of tropical systems are that they move very quickly once they hit land (for the most part). So it wouldn't be too bad for too terribly long.

This is screaming for a hurricane party at the Beer Garden or another outdoor venue. :borat:
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Now's the time for everyone to get those survival kits ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    This is screaming for a hurricane party at the Beer Garden or another outdoor venue. :borat:
    I wonder if they have sippy cups to keep the rain from getting in.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Iffin you need a sippy cup, that means you drink too effin' slow.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Good call, Kenny. I assume you're coming along then?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well it looks like as it stands now we are going to take a direct hit from TS Hanna. The latest report has the center of the storm passing directly over Islip Town which is just west of my house so anyone east of Islip will be getting the worst of the storm. I guess the positive is its only a Tropical Storm vs a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane but in any event I'll be securing things around the yard this afternoon. Hopefully the power won't go out and tomorrow can be a nice lazy day in the house.

I spent last night either putting stuff in the house or shed. If they could go in, they were secured.
    I'm just east of Islip, about 1 1/2 miles north of the Great South Bay. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will (pardon the pun) just blow over.

Thats nothing compared to what we are looking at on the West Coast of Fl. Possible hight cat 3/low cat 4 landing just about 50 miles or so to the south here in Tampa next wednesday. Getting a slight breeze w/cloud bands from Hannah. Looks like Andrew/Donna type of storm for us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... y#contents

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

We're under a Tropical Storm Watch as of 2 PM...

The island might get hit pretty good...even though sustained winds will probably only be 40-50mph, she'll be moving forward at over 20mph, which means points directly in Hanna's path may experience winds approaching hurricane force (74+).

Seems that rain will be the main problem in the city, with 3-6 inches forecast between tonight and Sunday morning, with locally higher amounts possible. Glad it'll be over the weekend when it's not a disaster if the subways flood.

Good surf!!!!

I surfed Gustav last week in the Gulf of Mexico... Great surfing conditions, great waves!

>in any event I'll be securing things around the yard this afternoon. <

We just did that when I got home from work.

>Hopefully the power won't go out and tomorrow can be a nice lazy day in the house.<

Thats pretty funny as I just got off the phone with a good friend of ours and she said the same exact thing.
    College football and catching up on movies/shows on my DVR can make an enjoyable day.