Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming U.N. VIP Week

Upcoming U.N. VIP Week

A couple of YYZ based spotters are planning a trip down for the UN traffic and are hoping to get some good advice so we can plan accordingly.

We're planning on arriving on Friday evening, September 12th and then dedicating the entire weekend thru Monday evening to chasing biz, liners, VIP's, etc.

Any insight into the following would be greatly appreciated:

- Is our plan of spending Sat thru Monday chasing this stuff the best days?

More specifically,
    - It is my understanding that most of the government "heavies" go into JFK. Is this the case? When do they typically start arriving?
    - What can you offer about the process for dropping at JFK and then re-positioning to Stewart AFB?
    - Does any traffic go into TEB? When?
    - Any other fields get traffic related to the UN VIP week? Which? when?
    - What is the best hotel at JFK? We will have SBS equipment ...
    - How is the mood, etc. of security/police during this time-frame?

Thanks,
    Tony

Re: Upcoming U.N. VIP Week

I'm not quite sure of the time frame for the General Assembly this year but last year aircraft did not start arriving until September 23rd.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

On the UN website it states that the General Assembly will open on September 16 and the general debate will take place from September 23 to October 1st.
    So according to that information, it looks like they will be arriving from September 16 to the 23rd.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

-> How is the mood, etc. of security/police during this time-frame?<

Let me forward your post to the FBI-NYPD JTTF and I'll get back.
    :lol:

its the most wonderfull time .....of the year.....(for jfk plane spotting that is)....

lookin forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by apjwright
    - It is my understanding that most of the government "heavies" go into JFK. Is this the case? When do they typically start arriving?
    - What can you offer about the process for dropping at JFK and then re-positioning to Stewart AFB?
    - Does any traffic go into TEB? When?
    - Any other fields get traffic related to the UN VIP week? Which? when?
    - What is the best hotel at JFK? We will have SBS equipment ...
    - How is the mood, etc. of security/police during this time-frame?
    1.) A majority of the "heavy" traffic will indeed pass through JFK at the start and at the end of the assembly. The first aircraft to end up at SWF was the Twinjet A319 which flew in via EWR on either Thursday the 20th or Friday the 21st of last year. By the time I was at SWF on Sunday the 23rd a couple of BBJ's and the Cameroon 767-300 had already arrived while a large amount of stuff was arriving into JFK. So presumably a majority of the aircraft will arrive the weekend before Tuesday the 23rd.

2.) It is hard to tell when the flights will depart JFK or EWR for wherever they reposition to. It's all so up in the air. I can tell you that last year most of the aircraft were at SWF by Wednesday the 26th.

3.) I imagine more general aviation would go to TEB if it did. I know the Turkish A319 ended up at FRG last year.

4.) EWR is the other airport which gets some nice traffic. I believe they got the Ethiopia 757-200, Saudi A310, Polska TU-154, and others. Aircraft arrive at EWR around the same dates as JFK.

5.) Personally I find the Holiday Inn the best hotel to stay at in JFK. Great views of the airport.

6.) I haven't spent anytime at JFK or EWR during UN Week since I tend to focus on SWF but there were many spotters at JFK on the 23rd last year who could tell you what it was like.

Thanks for the responses.

One interesting tidbit in all that was the traffic that goes to EWR - have to try and figure out how to work a visit there into the mix.

Perhaps flying in/out of EWR would do the trick nicely.

If anybody is going to be around on the 13th, 14th and 15th - it would be great to meet up.

My blackberry is [email protected] - 416.725.1713
    David P's BB is [email protected] - 519.497.6150

Saturday, Sept. 13 is the Newark Airline Show. Probably be a bunch of NYCAers attending and a chance to do some spotting at EWR before/after the show.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12878&hilit=newark+airline+sh ow

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    4.) EWR is the other airport which gets some nice traffic. I believe they got the Ethiopia 757-200, Saudi A310, Polska TU-154, and others. Aircraft arrive at EWR around the same dates as JFK.

In addition to what Gordon said, some other EWR movements last year was the Malaysia Air Force A319, Phillipines A340, N777AS a private 777 flying for the Gabon Gov't, VP-BRH another 777 came a week after the bulk of VIPs, Venezuelan 737 which also hit JFK, N767A, and a few German Airforce A310s.

Bill

Thanks for the responses.

One interesting tidbit in all that was the traffic that goes to EWR - have to try and figure out how to work a visit there into the mix.

Perhaps flying in/out of EWR would do the trick nicely.

If anybody is going to be around on the 13th, 14th and 15th - it would be great to meet up.

My blackberry is [email protected] - 416.725.1713
    David P's BB is [email protected] - 519.497.6150
    Something to take into consideration, if you can, is moving your trip to New York to the weekend after the 13th, 13th, and 15th. Last year the General Assembly ran from September 25th (a Tuesday) to October 3rd (a Wednesday). This year it will be September 23rd (a Tuesday) to October 1st (a Wednesday). Last year a majority of the aircraft arrived the weekend before the 25th so I would guess the same would happen this year. Meaning if you came the 13th, 14th, and 15th you might not get anything VIP related.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    -> How is the mood, etc. of security/police during this time-frame?<

Let me forward your post to the FBI-NYPD JTTF and I'll get back.
    :lol:
    I already did :roll:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Anyone know if AF1 is going to do the JFK-SWF-JFK thing this year?

Something to take into consideration, if you can, is moving your trip to New York to the weekend after the 13th, 13th, and 15th. Last year the General Assembly ran from September 25th (a Tuesday) to October 3rd (a Wednesday). This year it will be September 23rd (a Tuesday) to October 1st (a Wednesday). Last year a majority of the aircraft arrived the weekend before the 25th so I would guess the same would happen this year. Meaning if you came the 13th, 14th, and 15th you might not get anything VIP related.
    Hmmm. So, now I'm confused.

What you're saying, I think, is that the VIP traffic does NOT come in for the opening (Sept 16th this year), but for the general debate (starting on the 23rd). Please confirm this to be the case.

Thanks,
    Tony

Hmmm. So, now I'm confused.

What you're saying, I think, is that the VIP traffic does NOT come in for the opening (Sept 16th this year), but for the general debate (starting on the 23rd). Please confirm this to be the case.

Thanks,
    Tony
    That is what happened last year. So I'm assuming the same will happen this year.

And two years ago, this showed up way down here at PHL. This was my catch of the decade.

BTW, If the weather in decent, I 'should' be up for at least two days.

Paul
    Expanding Beyond PHL
    http://phlairline.com