Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchors aweigh, my boys...

Anchors aweigh, my boys...

Well, I decided to take a big step in my life and enlist in the United States Navy. I was fully enrolled to attend the University of North Dakota for the flying program there but I decided the other day it's just not the path I want to take right now. They're actually backlogged quite a bit to send recruits off to basic, so I'll be hanging around here for at least four to five months before I go off to Great Lakes.

Just thought I'd let you all know what's going on. Maybe I'll be out to JFK again before that time. Who knows...

-James

Re: Anchors aweigh, my boys...

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    Well, I decided to take a big step in my life and enlist in the United States Navy. I was fully enrolled to attend the University of North Dakota for the flying program there but I decided the other day it's just not the path I want to take right now. They're actually backlogged quite a bit to send recruits off to basic, so I'll be hanging around here for at least four to five months before I go off to Great Lakes.

Just thought I'd let you all know what's going on. Maybe I'll be out to JFK again before that time. Who knows...

-James
    Good luck, what is your MOS gonna be?

Good luck man!

Just push through the tough times man.. Boot Camp will have it's up and downs.. Just remember that everything (for the most part) has a purpose, and when you finish with it all, you will feel so much more accomplished, and bonded with men and women from all over the country for the same reason....

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

best of luck. are you at all planning on flying for the navy?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Great Lakes in January sucks! Basic will push you, but you'll be born a new person upon graduation. Keep your mouth shut and have your eyes and ears open, get used to running and doing push ups, and you'll be fine.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Start doing some running and workouts now so the PT isn't as hard. My father, brother and nephew were all Navy. I thought about Coast Guard but don't swim that good.

Congrats, Good Luck and Thank You!!!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks folks. To answer Bill and Matt's question, I scored very well on the ASVAB I took about a year and a half ago. My recruiter said if I sign for four or six years, there's a good chance I could get on an aircrew which would be totally awesome for me. Like I said, I was scheduled to go to UND for their flying program, so if I wanted to I could go to OCS and possibly fly Navy after I graduated from there, but I just don't feel college is the right step for me right now. So if all goes as planned (which it probably won't. It's the Navy), I can get a spot as an AE on aircrew. But that's a ways away yet... I have to figure on how to get through basic without freezing my sack off. But my dad did it in January, and as far as I know, he still has is pair... after all, I'm here.

Another cool thing is, I'm an Eagle Scout so I go in as an E-3. $200 more bucks a month! :)

In any case, I'm meeting my recruiter in Somerville this afternoon, then a few other recruits and I have to overnight in Brooklyn (wtf?) and then be up tomorrow morning to start our physicals and other tests, etc... I hope there's no chance of the surgeon giving me the old bend-over-here-comes-mr.-finger... is there? I can deal with turn and cough... but the other part... that's a one-way street. :roll:

Sounds like it's going to be a long process - but - a very honorable undertaking to serve your country! Good luck!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Greetings from MEPS Brooklyn! I start my processing tomorrow at 0430... then hopefully by 1300 I'll have my rate and ship date. Hooyah!

Ah, Fort Hamilton!

James, they will try to sucker you into 4 years of reserve service AFTER your 4 years of active-duty. Be aware of that and tell them you don't want the extra 4 years.

Also, if they are backed up, don't feel obligated to sign right away. Learn about your MOS options and if you're not sure, go home and sleep on it. They try to fill the spots that they need filled and might not lookout for your best interests, and will pressure you into something because they know you haven't had much time to think about the specifics that they just sprung onto you.

Sorry if I sound negative. It's just that your processing will decide exactly how you spend the next several years of your life.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well I just got back. I did wind up signing today, but for AZ instead. The wait for an aircrew spot was at minimum eleven months to just get sent to RTC, so I decided to get a spot involving airplanes, but not requiring such a long wait. My liason officer presented me with the options I have with my decent ASVAB scores and so forth. I definitely didn't feel pressured and I think I made the right decision. Like I said, I'll be an Aviation Maintenance Administrationman, and I'm shipping for Great lakes on 20090422. I'll be on active for five years, and I got an extra $7,500 for the extra year. I really, truely cannot wait!

-James

Congrats!

James, really, let's talk soon and I'll give you some tips on getting through basic, just so you're ahead of the game. First off, the obvious of running and pushups. You won't regret being able to be in good shape there.

Thanks Phil. I'll give you a buzz sometime this weekend. Were you Navy? I think I remember Mel saying something to that effect at the BBQ in September.

Yes, I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Yes, I was.
    Oh no, not another squid!

Just kidding Phil, but I like giving crap to Navy guys. I did 5 years in the Marines, so its hard to resist.