Thread: Departing from 22 at LGA

Departing from 22 at LGA

I am curious if LGA ever departs from Rwy 22. I see there's a chart posted for this but frankly I have never seen this departure. Is it seldom used due to noise abatement or for some other reason?

Re: Departing from 22 at LGA

Not often, but it does happen. Usually on a weekend when 13/31 is closed, and the winds favor 22. Makes for an interesting view from Planeview Park:

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

You gotta get out to Planeview when they're departing on 22...MD-80 departures look like they are barely going to clear the fence. It's pretty wild (and very difficult to photograph).

I believe they don't do it often for noise abatement reasons. 22 is the only runway for which departing traffic flies almost immediately over buildings...I'm sure most of the population of Elmhurst can feel the aforementioned MD-80 departures in their houses...

I can vouch for the coolness of 22 departures at Planeview park. Met up with moose there a few months ago in early summertime and it was a blast watching those maddogs eat up all that runway. Difficult to photograph properly, but fun as all hell!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Quote Originally Posted by adam613

I believe they don't do it often for noise abatement reasons. 22 is the only runway for which departing traffic flies almost immediately over buildings...I'm sure most of the population of Elmhurst can feel the aforementioned MD-80 departures in their houses...
    Correct, the reason that the planes usually dont take off on 22 because they depart towards the city(much like why rwy 31 departures out of JFK get an immediate turn south) and the aircraft are very close to Kennedy's airspace.
    "lol retart"

MD-80s might be difficult to photograph but I love the blasts of the take offs from there.. Last time I was there was in early June...

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

It sounds great. It's bad to be a plane spotter without wheels. How many times have they changed runways on me after shlepping-out to a runways' end? As a senior citizen, I don't have the strength anymore from runway to runway, but I have great memories.

I e-mailed the gentleman at the Port in charge of LGA constuction projects and he replied back to me that there will be limited 13-31 closures this fall as most projects involve closing 4-22. he said only one definate 13-31 weekend closeure in the next two months. I usually find out on Thursday with a confirmation on Friday, when I here of a 13-31 closeure and forecasted winds favor 22 departures it will be posted on this site and if you can take advantage of an hour or two at Plaineview on a Saturday morning you wont be dissapointed trust me.

LGA777