Thread: Canon Announces 50D

Canon Announces 50D

The newest member of the Canon lineup will be available in October 2008. Some key features:

• - 15.1 megapixel CMOS sensor
      - DIGIC 4
      - 1.6x crop
      - Dust Reduction
      - Auto Brightness Processing
      - 95% viewfinder .97 magnification
      - 9 point af (All Cross Type)
      - 35 meter area equipped with high-precision sensors
      - AF Fine Tuning
      - ISO 100-12800
      - 6.3 fps (high speed) 3fps (low speed)
      - Buffer: 16 RAW - 60 JPG - 10 RAW+JPG
      - 920,000 points VGA 3.0-inch LCD monitor
      - 100,000 cycle shutter
      - Magnesium alloy body

It is expected to sell for a retail price of $1399.99 for body only and $1599.00 with the EF 28-135mm kit lens. From the press release, they claim that the new DIGIC 4 sensor will produce less noise at the higher resolution and high ISOs.

Full Canon press release here

Re: Canon Announces 50D

Anybody wanna buy a used XTI in October?

Hmm, interesting. I'm still happy with my 40D, I think more MP doesn't make that big a difference to me. The camera I'd like to see them upgrade is the 5D.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Looks like a surprisingly solid upgrade to the 40D...I'm very into the AF fine-tuning...

Whohaaaa what is with the ISO??? :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I'm looking forward to B&H getting these in stock so that I can hold them. I noticed that the 40D felt a lot cheaper compared with the 30D, and I'm really curious if the 50D is another step in that direction or if it's more like the 30D. Also, I hope that they push used 30D prices down even further; I'm thinking of picking up a second body and while the 50D sounds like it's a great camera I'm not sure I really need it.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

You guys are going to hate me for saying this but 9 point AF on 50D isnt that good.

My 10 year old Canon EOS 3
    :-
    http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product ... /index.asp

has 45 AF points with motorwinder connected to it, it can take up 7fps to name a few things.

If Canon bring out a EOS 1DS III for the same price as the 50D then i'd think about it (as that is similar to the EOS 3), but for the time being I'll stick with my faithful EOS 3.

Doesn't the 20D have more than 9 points? Eh, regardless, that's low on the list of things I would consider when shopping.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Doesn't the 20D have more than 9 points? Eh, regardless, that's low on the list of things I would consider when shopping.
    Nope, 9 points. The 20D also only has a cross-type point in the center. Which wouldn't bother me at all if it were accurate using the center point...

I don't see how more than 9 points would be necessary.

Sounds like a solid body. Ultimately, it always comes down to what we learn a camera's PROBLEMS are once it's been out and reviewed, as opposed to its features.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It doesn't look much different from the 40D, from the front at least...

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/p ... d_open.jpg
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

All I am interested in, is the quality of the photo. I was never one that needed 50 shots of the same arrival/departure. If I can get 6 good shots, that should be more than enough.

And since I just upgraded from the XT to XSI, I can tell you from experience 8mp to 12.8 mp didn't make all that much of a difference. The number of points didn't seem to make a difference either. At least for aviation photography.

If you're going to spend the money get an L series lens (100-400), if you haven't one already.

Also, the dust removal isn't perfected. But the XSI is a heck of a lot better than the XT. Seems like I had dust every time I went out. So since the D50 uses the same system, I would expect the same results as the XSI.

But yeah, whats with that ISO. It must be a typo.

My two cents.

Paul
    Expanding Beyond PHL
    http://phlairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by runway27r
    But yeah, whats with that ISO. It must be a typo.
    I don't think so. It's the logical progression of ISO speeds: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (H1) and 12800 (H2), each one double the one below.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I'm most curious to see how much (if any) the new sensor and the DIGIC IV processor improves image quality. That will make the decision whether I want a 40D or a 50D next year...the only 50D feature I really want is AF microadjust, and I can live without it for the $600 I'll probably save.

Paul, ISO 12800 is not a typo. Nikon's most recent bodies do it too, although it's rather noisy. I suspect it's for those situations where you need to get the shot more than you need to get a good shot. (Or when you're working on a night shot...I stopped spending an hour on every night shot when I realized I could take test shots at ISO 1600 and then recompute the shutter speed for ISO 100 when I was ready to take the "keeper" shot...)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I don't see how more than 9 points would be necessary.
    More AF points allow the camera to “see” more especially in difficult situations.

With 99% of Concorde being white trying to instantly lock on and get pin sharp photos when she was rapidly moving got very very hard so the more AF points a camera has the better chance of a pin sharp photo as she whizzed by you.

Although Concorde isn’t flying when I do other types of photography again the 45 AF points are brilliant and I don’t need to worry about out of focus pictures.

Initially the EOS 3 etc use all 45 AF points, they find the nearest point/s to lock on to and focus, thats the beauti of having a lot of AF points. With less AF points in difficult situations there is chance the camera " wont see" what your eyes see, then you have to switch to manual focus which can be a pain.

When talking about Auto Focus there are a lot of variables to consider.

All I am interested in, is the quality of the photo. I was never one that needed 50 shots of the same arrival/departure. If I can get 6 good shots, that should be more than enough.
    On Concorde I always used 1 film per take off and 1 film per landing as each shot was different.

And since I just upgraded from the XT to XSI, I can tell you from experience 8mp to 12.8 mp didn't make all that much of a difference. .
    Not sure as with film it doesn’t really apply, if I want better quality photos I buy a better quality film.