Thread: F-14 Dedication Cermony - Bethpage

F-14 Dedication Cermony - Bethpage

I was invited to the F-14 dedication ceremony and went with moose. I really did not know what to expect but I was told that I may be on a contributors plaque

There was a very nice lunch with great video I have never seen of the F-14 flights I attended into Farmingdale. All the time watching Felix and Here I was passing Legendary F-14 crews and Very well know Grumman and Northrop Grumman Employees.

I was kind of in a fog of all that was happening around... I knew I should be taking pictures but there really was nothing to take pictures of.... The aircraft....Been there, done that 10,000 times and wrote the book! Now IF I shoot it I have lots of people running to get out of the way! No good with a big tent as a background. My one OK shot shows a ladder in the reflection as people were running around getting ready

Please note that the wheels are polished!

But I do have some nice static shots of the aircraft...

Now the People were the story, not the aircraft itself.

This is my friend Larry, He makes things like this possible. I have other friends to at the airport Like Spencer, Angelo, Frank, Fred...Ahh hell, I could go on for ever. But Larry always ran the Museum and always is everywhere....The big joke is if you are looking for Larry.... Stand still and he will find you! It is very true yet he Always had time for me. He looks spiffy in a suit too! I somehow did not take one picture of my good friend and shooting buddy John (Moose) as I always grabbed his camera to take the shot if he was in it.

I took pictures of the event and it was very moving, I wish every American can feel the pride in their country that I felt during that 1 hour ceremony. It was Very well done and a tribute fitting for Felix.

Everyone that had anything to do with the move was invited and since I had donated
    the photos used for the Engines Mock-up and also gave them Felix shots for the Archive, I was there too.

So they unveil the names on the side of the aircraft and they unveil the large Plaque in front
    of the aircraft

Moose and I joked about if I was going to get one! He said it is possible but I shrugged it off.

They were calling all the people who had a hand in bringing Felix to where she was at like the AAM and Shelt Air and Bay Crane. Then there was Me, I run go up front and stand in line and realize... I HAVE MY LONG LENS ON! I have Bob Smyth seat right in front of me and I have on a 70-300! UGH...
    I look to the back and see Moose shooting with a smile from ear to ear...then I look right and I see Larry smiling over at me. WOW
    I walk to the back of the tent and now my eyes are glazed over.
    So the ceremony ends and they serve cake

NO I did not have any cake... I just took a picture :lol:

I did get a shot of this

and looked further and found THIS!!!

I could not believe that they actually put me on the plaque! And that was not all....

I GOT MY LITTLE SILVER TOMCAT!

I will never forget the Friends that I have made.... The storied I have been told and the Greatness that attended
    You may recognize some of the pilots of this aircraft?

I was truly Honored to be there!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: F-14 Dedication Cermony - Bethpage

Great photos :)

For me the F14 will always been a brilliant aircraft, in 1986 when Top Gun was at the cinema the F14 shots where utterly brilliant and i wanted to be an F14 pilot (but being British it was impossible to join the US Navy and do that).

Don't know why the USAF never used it and don't know why it was replaced with the slower F18.

Its a pity that our Royal Navy never bought a fleet of F14s and 1-2 Nimitiz class carriers as the F14 is the ultimate Navy fighter plane.

What a wonderful day! Sad, yes, but also a celebration of this great aircraft, and the people who designed, built, flew and maintained her. It's been quite an experience, following Felix 101 from her last visit, through her retirement flight and move to Bethpage, culminating in Friday's ceremony. As Fred said, the people I've met and the stories I've been told will stay with me forever.

LCDR Bob "Fitz" Gentry, RIO of the final Tomcat flight into FRG in October 2006, CDR Jim "Puck" Howe, CO of VF-31, final Tomcat squadron, and LT Tom Ober, Tomcat maintenance officer.

Here's one Fred took of me, along with Bill "Pinch" Paisley. Pinch is just about to retire from the Navy Reserve. He was a Tomcat RIO, and in 1992 picked up this jet from Grumman when she was delivered to the Navy. I got to "meet" Pinch through his blog a few months ago, and it was nice to meet him in person and hear some of his Tomcat stories.

Fred with his plaque - I had to talk Fred into taking this picture. That's a nice shirt Fred, but mine is better

Here's an older shot, but I think it's fitting today:

Thanks for another outstanding adventure, Fred!

Awesome Fred - that's a heck of an honor!! Good shots both you and Moose!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Fred Congrats!.. i am honestly jealous of that plaq!!.. well deserved for all the work you have done!...

and p.s.. next time your at FRG.. come find me.. i have that piece for you in my truck!

What an occasion! You should be very proud. I'd love to see video of the ceremony.

What an honor for you Fred. You have documented that aircraft from the moment it arrived in FRG until present. You are truly deserving of your name on the plaque and your little F-14. Moose some great shots, and I'm glad you got Fred to get in some of the pictures.