Thread: World's Fair Marina (LGA) - 08/20/08

World's Fair Marina (LGA) - 08/20/08

So I decide to hit LGA today, being I haven't been there in months, and had a very wierd encounter with the parks department staff. The day started off with arrivals on 4/departures on 13, so I was at Plainview Park from 10am until 1130 when the winds changed and they went to a arrivals on 31/departures on 4 configuration, so I relocated over to the World's Fair Marina. It must be noted, while at Plainview the NYPD drove past the park twice, and both times a friendly wave was given during their driveby. I staked a bench out at the west end of the marina across from the Mets new home, and I was there a good 90 minutes. At least twice one of the park workers drove by in his little GEM car without saying a word to me. The third time though, he stops right next to me and asks if I am taking pictures of the planes. I say yes I am. He immediately proceeds to inform me that "Taking pictures of airplanes is illegal." So, I smile, and say, "actually no it isn't." That one short statement from me seemed to catch him off-guard because he now didn't know what to say. He kept stumbling over his words saying, "ummm, yes it is. They told me so." I asked who "they" were and he could not give me an answer, he countered with, "look that's what they tell me, it's illegal and you shouldn't be doing it." I politely replied, that I was not breaking any laws, and he quickly shot back, "well dude, when the cops come to check you out, dont say I didn't warn you." So at this point, I already had my US Airways PSA shot & the Air Canada E175 & E190, so I figure, why ruin it for everyone else. He was about to drive off when I said, "So, are you asking me to leave?" He then said, "No, you dont have to leave, but you cant say that I didn't warn you." And off he went. I stayed about another 20 mins. and decided to leave so as to be ahead of the rush hour traffic home. Needless to say, no cops came by, no ID check was done, etc. The funny thing to me was, he said nothing to the nice Jewish family who were throwing all their lunch garbage over the railing to the seagulls in the water. Nothing to the 3 teenagers fishing on the water side of the railing, and drove past the same "exploded" burrito, all 3 times, on the pathway without a hint of trying to clean it up. Just a head's up to those who frequent the area, I guess this guy is used to people getting all freaked out and saying "oh, ok, I'll leave then" and when I actually replied friendly & factually he all of a sudden had to figure out how to backup his story.

Re: World's Fair Marina (LGA) - 08/20/08

It's a shame we still run into people who take that stance. Towards the end of your dialogue, I would have added a "Police visit us all the time and they even say it's not illegal. I understnad if you call them, but it's not a big deal for me, thanks!"
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

The only time I got stopped at the Marina, some native in pink riding her bike called me in. A NYPD Sgt responds and laughs it all off. These square badged hairbags piss me off...there and at JFK. The guy was probably more mad that you went off script by standing your ground and couldn't ad-lib around it.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I took next week off so maybe I should take a ride over and hang out. Let him stop me so he can receive some edification.

Phil, got any time to hang?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Friday might be my only day next week. Give a PM or a text anytime to set it up. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

OK, this should be fun. :twisted:

"So, which ID do you want to see, City, State or Federal?"
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It's a shame we still run into people who take that stance. Towards the end of your dialogue, I would have added a "Police visit us all the time and they even say it's not illegal. I understnad if you call them, but it's not a big deal for me, thanks!"
    I used a similar line on some airport employee who was harassing me on his way to work when I was at the GCP Pedestrian Bridge...he was NOT pleased. No cops ever showed up, but I wasn't there for much longer because I wanted to go meet the crowd at JFK.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    some people get all the fun...!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    some people get all the fun...!!
    You are welcome to join the fun.
    Ronald Reagan

I may join too. Last time I was there, early in the Spring I guess, while shooting from the west side of the marina, some Parks Dept. guy picking up trash started talking to me, asking if I was with the media ("I am, but that's not why I'm here"), seemed friendly but then gave me a "heads up" that someone might come down to talk to me. Whatever. I got bored there and about 15 mins later I walked around to the south/Shea side, and another 10 minutes pass and some Parks Dept. Enforcement (fancy badges but no guns/brains) roll up. I greet them, and as soon as they start talking I realize I'm dealing with morons, or at least the one who was doing most of the talking was.

What are you doing?
    Photographing airplanes.

Why?
    It's a hobby.

Well you're going to have to stop.
    Am I doing something illegal?

WELL I CAN GET A SERGEANT FROM THE 115TH PRECINCT DOWN HERE AND HE'LL TELL YOU IF IT'S LEGAL OR NOT.
    Um, I'm pretty sure it is, first amendment and all.

Well that's not a very good hobby to have these days, you know?
    Why not?

Err, uh, security, you got the marina here and the airport.
    I'm not doing anything wrong.

The Marina Manager told you to leave.
    He never asked me to leave, we had a nice conversation, he just gave me a heads up that someone might come down to talk to me.

Well, after 9/11 this is just a sensitive area...blah blah blah...terrorism...[YAY THE MAGIC WORD!]
    So I'm a terrorist?

[Both fake cops stumbling over their words] No, no, no, but uhh...could you just do us a favor and leave?

It was getting cold and cloudy by this point anyway, my girlfriend/bail money was out of town, and I just didn't want to talk to these guys any longer, so I agreed. :(
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9