Thread: Solutions for DL's JFK Facilities

Solutions for DL's JFK Facilities

So reading about jetBlue's new T5, it got me thinking about the future usage of T6. I had thought that jetBlue's original plan was to move most flights over to T5 while still utilizing T6. However, I think now that with their cap on expansion and the general overcrowdedness that is JFK, jetBlue's operations could be consolidated completely into T5.

That said, before demolishing T6, wouldn't it be a good idea to utilize it as a temporary replacement for T2? I say shift all of DL's domestic flights over to T6, then knock down T2 and start the new international concourse that will replace T3. Once this is complete, T3 can be decked and a new concourse that can support both international and domestic operations can be built.

I know that this situation would be less than ideal for connections. Perhaps an airside bus shuttle could run between T3 and T6 for pax connecting to international flights. Pax coming off of int'l flights would have to re-clear security anyway, so put them on the AirTrain over to T6 right out of T3 customs.

I think the logistics of this could actually work as a decent temporary solution. Help the cluster**** of the RJ operation by moving it over to one of the circular satellites in T6 (perhaps gates 11/12/14-17). Use the rest of the gates for CR9's, 737's, 757's, and the occasional 767. I know at least two of gates 1-5 can handle 767's since I've seen UA 762's there before many years ago. I'm not sure how much the space is affected by 737 and 757 winglets, but I would imagine that it is still possible to fit in as many planes that are currently fit into T2. This will also ease congestion in T3, since it then becomes exclusively international ops. It might take some work on fleet utilization with the ex-TWA 757's going from domestic to int'l and vice versa, but I think it could work. It's a similar plan to what AA did with their T8/T9 during their construction.

What do you think about this as a solution? What problems do you see forthcoming? What would YOU suggest as an alternate solution? Very curious to hear people's thoughts, since this will be a project undertaken by the port in the coming years and DL is definitely in need of new JFK facilities.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: Solutions for DL's JFK Facilities

The only thing I can see is a lot of delays basicly.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

True, but probably not much worse than it is now. During this summer, I've had gate waits of at least 20 minutes once on the ground and as along as 1.5 hours, and I've heard 1.5 is short compared to some others...
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

The plan for T6 is that B6 will still use it until the remote terminal is razed and the remaining gates are installed on T5. Word is UAL and US will be moving into T6 and the building will be remodeled by the Port. Prob a good idea..put the two worst airlines in the US together...what a cluster operation that would be hehe ;)

If DAL did want to use T6, yes it would take a large burden off T2 and T3 and is prob not a bad idea. T6 can handle heavy jets up to the 747 so there's nothing Delta has that can't be moved to T6 minus Intl arrivals. Might be a good idea for them to move in there, raze T2 rebuild it. When its done move T2 ops to T3, rebuild T2 into the new T3 or vice versa. Honestly I can see this happening since it’s really the only solution rebuilding the terminal without dramatically upset the passenger’s movements.

One thing to think about if someone was to take over T6 is that we have added additional gates to the building and the biggest AC that will fit would be the A320. During the Feb 14 snow when we chartered extra AC to transport the Pax we only had 1 gate that would fit a DC 10 or a 757. Also in T6 you only have 13 gates avail to use. So is this an easy solution to T3 closing???
    "You above all"