This was my first time on ANA, or any Japanese airline for that matter, and service was just as I expected. The flight attendants pride themselves on what they do, or at least it seems that way. Smiling, friendly, and helpful, they didn't seem to take any breaks. On the US carriers I've taken to Japan, the flight attendants just seem to stay in the galley and read or talk. It's quite different on ANA. Heck, they clean the lavatories in-flight!

Things I liked about ANA's 777-300ER included the automatic faucet in the lavatories and the SkyMaster II AVOD system. Food was pretty good, and with a constant supply of a variety of snacks including fresh fruit, cookies, rice crackers, and Pringles (zOMG!!1 Pringles!!11), I was never hungry. This was my second experience with an AVOD which is actually on-demand. My first was a Delta AVOD which didn't work. I love that you can pause, fast forward, and rewind videos and movies.

We waited in queue for takeoff on the JFK-NRT for about 3 hours because of previous thunderstorms.

The 767-300 that operated the flight from NRT-TPE was the first aircraft I've seen with a camera display. During taxi, the pilot turned on the camera on the nose, and after takeoff, the camera on the fuselage looking down.

The cabin and lavatories were very clean.

It's also the small touches that make ANA what it is.

This was at JFK!

Nice, albeit hazy view of NYC after takeoff

Swerving to avoid a storm