Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: Aircraft Visitor List)

Wow hearing about the KC-135 is great!
    I just hope the day doesn't get rained out.
    LGA777, Do you know if there are any rain days scheduled in case Saturday turns out to be a wash out?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

In the past they have not had a rain date. I sent some E-mails today and hopefully I should know by tomorrow if there will be a rain date in the event Saturday is a wash out....
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Even though last time it was just cancelled hopefully if the weather is to iffy the Port and LGA Kiwanis Club who co-sponser the even will in fact schedule an alternate date. The aircraft that AA, DL, and US provide are all spare aircraft do to due seasonal Saturday reduced schedules so they can all be rescheduled to an alternate date easily. While some of the Military aircraft may not be able to reschedule the fact that all parties really want to attend I would think some could reschedule. There where some other Miitary aircraft that could not attend on Sept 27th due to a scheduling conflict. A new date might free them up to replace any unable to attend.

I will call Chuck tommorow and hopefully he has enough infuance with the Port to convince them if Sat's weather won't work to postpone and not cancel.

Let's all think positive, this still might work on Saturday.

Regards

LGA777

I'll come-out even if the AM is showery. The PM forecast looks better. Just our luck, every other Saturday recently had brilliant sunshine and great visibility. Keep our fingers crossed! I had a great time last year. I shlepped-up to the Bronx on Sunday after hearing that Yankee Stadium was open to the public to enter the field and we all got turned-away at the gate. Only ticket holders for the night game were admitted.

Latest update I have heard is the Port will make a go or no go call at 1530 Thursday afternoon, and so far is does NOT sound promising. While I would like to think they would reschedule from what I am hearing they just don't do that and that was the case around 4-5 years ago.

Either myself for AA777 will post something here as soon as we get the update on Thursday.

LGA777

>Latest update I have heard is the Port will make a go or no go call at 1530 Thursday afternoon, and so far is does NOT sound promising.<

They are calling for a pretty bad storm Thursday late aft. into Friday with Friday being the nastiest part with lots of rain and wind. With these
    tropical depressions they can move out quickly. But you never know. Forecasting is such a crapshoot.
    Good luck guys.

Yes, these tropical storms move up the coast fast. If rainy at 0800 on Sat., brilliant sunshine could return by noon so it should not be canceled. What a bummer, if it got canceled and it got sunny at noon. Fri. will be the all-day rain. As a spotter, this has happened to me many times. I left my house in Sheepshead Bay in thorms and by the time I got to JFK, it got sunny.

Just our luck that the rarest of rare visitors is set to show up and we get two of the most bizarre weather systems in recent memory lined up to arrive at the same time.

On the bright side, it looks like that second storm is going to curve out to sea, and the current forecast makes it sound like rain could very well end in the AM on Saturday. Hopefully Port will give it a go.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I am going to be away from the computer to early evening but based on everything I am hearing this great event is NOT going to happen. While Sat afternoon may or may not be precip free keep in mind the event may start at 1200 but the outdoor setting up has to start around 8 or 9 to be ready. Also keep in mind the majority of the attendee's are families with small children. I don't want to sound like a wuss but I have no plans on slepping my 2 year old daughter around an outdoor event in rain and wind.

And while the logical thing to do would be reschedule I just don't think the Port wants to do that.

I have always had a glass is half full personality but I just don't see this one happening.

Sadly,

LGA777

I hate to be that guy...but I just got word that Kids Day is cancelled for this Saturday and there are no plans to reschedule......

Why the Port can't reschedule it is beyond me, but either way this sucks a lot

:evil:
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    AGI & IGI

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by AA 777
    I hate to be that guy...but I just got word that Kids Day is cancelled for this Saturday and there are no plans to reschedule......

Why the Port can't reschedule it is beyond me, but either way this sucks a lot

:evil:
    i'm not trying to discredit you here my friend, but everyone i spoke to at the port today told me the same i received via email this morning. kids day will be decided upon froday morning in the weekly construction meeting. who'd you hear the cancellation from?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

Grrrrr, Im hearing that its going to rain all morning and thundershowers in the afternoon. Rain fall is about 90%.. I wish they can reshedule the event. But it seems to be a no,no.. :(
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    who'd you hear the cancellation from?
    I wouldnt post that Kids Day (or any big event for that matter) was cancelled unless the word I got was from someone in the know and could be trusted 100%....
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    AGI & IGI

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by AA 777
    Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    who'd you hear the cancellation from?
    I wouldnt post that Kids Day (or any big event for that matter) was cancelled unless the word I got was from someone in the know and could be trusted 100%....
    that's not where i was going with that, i just wanted to know who told you because everyone i talked to yesterday told me that it's was still on pending this morning's construction meeting. of course today i recieved an email that there will be no Kids Day or rwy 4/22 closure. jsut curious, like i said i wasn't trying to discredit you.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

lets pray and keep our fingers crossed... Hopefully there will be a change..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15