Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

FWIW, I just called the number on the flyer and was told that it is indeed officially cancelled.

While I'm as bummed as everybody else about the Kids Day cancellation here is the 1100AM Sat morning LGA Metar.

KLGA 271451Z 06013KT 1/2SM FG OVC001 19/18 A3007 RMK AO2 SLP184 T01890178 56003

With a 100 foot ceiling and half a mile vis in fog I doubt a lot of the visiting aircraft could have made it in. Probably below mins for many of them.

LGA777

upsetting, upsetting.. hopefully next year things will turn better... :(
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I figured it was canceled but I went to LGA anyway. There was no answer when I called 718-397-0184 on Sat. morning. I made the best of it. There was drizzle and the ceiling was low. LGA was using the rarely-used LOC/ILS 13 Approach. I saw the new Control Tower. It was strange that most LGA workers I approached, never heard of Kids Day. Finally, 1 guy said that it's over at the Marine Air Terminal and another said it was canceled. The rocking chairs they used to have by the large windows at the Central Terminal were replaced with uncomfortable wire benches. I guess they don't want visitors to stay too long. As it turned-out, Sundays' weather was even worse so re-scheduling wouldn't have worked.

I was supposed to be volunteering too. What a shame.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    As it turned-out, Sundays' weather was even worse so re-scheduling wouldn't have worked.
    Had they rescheduled it would have been for another Saturday, probably in October.

Pretty much got the FINAL word today there is ZERO chance of rescheduling from the Port.

I am going to try and contact the event's chariman within the LGA Kiwanis Club and also a few key people with the Port and see of they are willing for next year to schedule both a firm date and a rain date, as this is the second outright cancellation in either 5 or 6 years.

I think most of the civilian and military aircraft operators would be willing to comit to both a firm and an alternate rain date, as would I think many of the vendors and other volunteers that are needed to staff the event. These are some of the reasons the Port stated as the reason they could not reschedule but again if established in advance for future years hopefully this years dissapointment can be avoided.

As a group you have my word I am going to invest some time and effort to try and convince the organizers to try and avoid a future outright cancellation.

Regards

LGA777

Thanks for your work on this, Ron.

I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal for Port to just cordon off a small part of the field for this, but when you think about the extra bus drivers, security staff and PAPD officers they need for the event, some of whom probably have strict union-controlled scheduling and pay rules, I'm guessing scheduling those people for a date that might not be needed is where the rain date difficulty comes into play.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9