Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: EVENT CANCELLED)

Re: LGA Kids day 2008

I have an update on some of the aircraft visitors for Kids Day and it's going to be a good one.

Civil sounds like the usual DL and AA MD80's and US A-319. Also a couple of Cessna 182's.

Military the usual P-51, P-40 and Skytoppers fleet of Texan's. At least two, possibily more F-18's, at least one of which is in a Special two-tone blue scheme. Last years highlight a C-130 will be returning but will not be the highlight this year.

I wanted to post this sooner but was waiting for the final ok from the Port, despite the ban on this type aircraft (at least the civilian version) at LGA the Port has been very open minded and the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire. This is by far the coolest aircraft to ever be displayed at Kids Day and yes it will be open to tour and photograph. The enitre Squadron at McGuire is very excited and from what I here something like 18 commanders all want to be the one to land a KC-135 at LGA.

We all owe a BIG Thank You to my good friend Chuck Eason from the AA Ramp Tower at LGA for doing a lot of the cordinating with the Air Force and the Port to make this happen. We have been talking about this for months and I can't believe it's actually going to happen. As always Chuck will be in the cockpit of the AA MD80, please stop by and Thank Him, and also say congratulations as Chuck will be celebrating 40 years with AA at LGA in less than 2 months, he started in Nov 1968. We also owe a big Thank You to Mr. Warren Kroeppel, LGA'S General Manager for making this happen.

The KC-135 is due in between 0800-0900 and all the Military aircraft will be departing as soon as Kids Day ends at 1600. I realize many of you are going to the get together afterwords at Vinny's, you might want to try and budget time to get all this great traffic departing LGA.

I really hope many of you can attend this year, it is likely to be the Best Kids Day Event ever !

See You There

LGA777

WOW. Thanks for the heads up, Ron.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Sweet! Anyone know the last time a 707 frame was at LGA?

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    Chuck and I were talking about this today. He believes the only time was a SAM VC135 or 137 in 1968 to bring the body of RFK to NY for the Funeral at St Patricks.

For those who were not aware even though the DC-10/L-1011/A-300 where all allowed at LGA the 707, DC-8, and CV-880 and 990 where not.

Saturday will be an almost once in a (airports) lifetime exception.

Cheers

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777
    I wanted to post this sooner but was waiting for the final ok from the Port, despite the ban on this type aircraft (at least the civilian version) at LGA the Port has been very open minded and the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire. This is by far the coolest aircraft to ever be displayed at Kids Day and yes it will be open to tour and photograph. The enitre Squadron at McGuire is very excited and from what I here something like 18 commanders all want to be the one to land a KC-135 at LGA.

We all owe a BIG Thank You to my good friend Chuck Eason from the AA Ramp Tower at LGA for doing a lot of the cordinating with the Air Force and the Port to make this happen. We have been talking about this for months and I can't believe it's actually going to happen. As always Chuck will be in the cockpit of the AA MD80, please stop by and Thank Him, and also say congratulations as Chuck will be celebrating 40 years with AA at LGA in less than 2 months, he started in Nov 1968. We also owe a big Thank You to Mr. Warren Kappel, LGA'S General Manager for making this happen.
    I too wanted to say something a lot earlier, but I didnt want to say it was coming and then have something happen and they cancel. However, I recieved an E-mail yesterday from the Port and it was confirmed it was coming.

Like Ron said, please stop by and thank Chuck Eason in the American MD-80. He did a LOT of extra work to try and get this to happen. Without him it would not have happened at all. The number of phone calls that went back and forth and the paperwork involved was nothing short of insane. He started working on this back in July when I had to get he dimensions of the -135 for him to give to the Port. The only thing the Military wanted was 7000' and some ground equipment like a KVA/GPU etc - which LGA has. The C-130 was also something that Chuck had worked on last year as there are a bunch of AA pilots that work in the Guard. The C-130 guys had such a good time last year that they had called Chuck again this year to see when the show was.....

LGA history will be made on Saturday. If you were planning on not coming to Kids Day, I'd re think that decision. Chuck and I had been discussing how many times a 4 engined plane had been to LGA and he thinks its only been once or twice if at all - and like Ron said he has been an LGA cornerstone for a LONG time. Regardless of the Weather and light this will be a HISTORIC movement at LGA. A big KUDOS also goes out to the Port for allowing this type of aircraft in.

I'll be flying up Friday for the show and I'll be near the AA MD80 for most of the day. I hope to see everyone there!!!!

Heres to the best Kid's Day Yet! :borat:
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28
    For those who were not aware even though the DC-10/L-1011/A-300 where all allowed at LGA the 707, DC-8, and CV-880 and 990 where not.
    ron is correct. in case you're curious it has to do with the gear loading on the piers that support the ends of our runways. it's a good guess that that -135 will have as little fuel as possible onboard to save weight on our ramps and runways.

ron, btw the P-51, P-40 and T-6s are considered warbirds and not military a/c.

i won't be making it to the festiveties, but i will be most likely coming in a little early to capture the KC-135 arrival from my office in the sky. with any luck 4/22 will be closed and we'll be landing 31!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

...the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire...
    HOLY CRAP!!! What incredible news!

Is it Saturday yet?

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008

Amazing news. Is the KC-135 reportable? I'm writing up a short notice for a New York travel information site, and wonder if I should keep that little tidbit under my hat, or shout it to the rooftops. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    ...the Air Force is excited to be bringing a 'Drumroll please" KC-135 Tanker from McGuire...
    HOLY CRAP!!! What incredible news!

Is it Saturday yet?
    no moose, you cannot borrow...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008

*Wishes my wife wasn't on call this weekend and I could change my October trip to this weekend*!! DAMN DAMN DAMN!! All you lucky guys!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Possibility of Showers on Kids Day

Sadly, the forecast for Saturday, LGA Kids Day doesn't look too promising. I was curious if it had ever been re-scheduled due to rain? A tropical storm is supposed to come up the East Coast on Friday through Sat. morning, so I was wondering. Hopefully, the storm will pass. Latest reports say that Sat. PM will get nice but the AM will be rainy. Pray it's not canceled especially after reading all the work that Mr. Eason did for us. Thanks to him.

Re: LGA Kids Day 2008 (UPDATE: Aircraft Visitor List)

Wishing I wasnt going to be out of town this weekend. DAMN!

Re: Possibility of Showers on Kids Day

I heard that it could either go straight up to Cape Cod [which is odd of a tropical system] or veer towards NYC. Too soon to tell.

that's not good. if it's supposed to be bad here the kids day activitiees might end up being cancelled like they were a few years ago. re-scheduling all the visiting aircraft proved to be to difficult and it was just cancelled.

Ugh. Thats too bad, I was looking forward to this year's Kid's day.
    All we can do is hope for the best.

Btw if it is canceled, will they make some type of online publishing so we'll be aware of it?
    or is it on of those ya show up and no one is there type of things? lol
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY