Thread: China Airlines 737-800 Nearly Goes Off Runway (video)

China Airlines 737-800 Nearly Goes Off Runway (video)

As close as it gets.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: China Airlines 737-800 NEarly Goes OFf Runway (video)

Basically, this just confirms my theory that pilots for China Airlines are f*****g nuts...they're undeniably one of the world's worst airlines in regards to both service and safety.

Working for ANA at LAX, we had several pax on our daily flight who would connect to Taiwan upon their arrival at our base in Narita. Who could blame them for wanting to avoid their own flag carriers (...EVA isn't all that fantastic either). For this reason, our staff was comprised of 35 Japanese speakers, 3 Chinese speakers, and 2 employees with other language skill (<--- that's where I come in).

On a funny side note, that video is in Japanese. Sadly, my knowledge of the Japanese language is not strong enough to understand entirely what the reporter in the clip is saying. Maybe I should give those pilots the benefit of the doubt and instead assume that there was a problem with their aircraft upon takeoff? Then again, it IS China Airlines....just sayin. :shock:

- jMay
    "BANK M*THER$@*#^$, BANK!!!"

Re: China Airlines 737-800 Nearly Goes Off Runway (video)

Maybe a few more degrees of flap would have been in order??? :shock:
    Seriously though, probably a good combination over full pax/bags & hot weather. These guys are lucky they dont fly to LGA or they'd drop a few into Flushing Bay.

If I recall correctly, this occurred in Japan not long after the infamous China 738 that burned at the gate in Okinawa.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Is was actually empty and experienced an airspeed discrepency between the F/O and Capt's display , according to the article.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... dated.html

Speed indicator or now, at a certain point, I would think you could figure out if you're going fast enough to yank back on the yoke, no?

Also, with no choice but to try to takeoff anyway, I also would have thought that they'd TRY to rotate sooner.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Doesn't a plane normally try to rotate on its own once it's at a certain speed and the wings are generating lift?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I think that would depend on the trim settings, and with takeoff trim settings, you'd have to go a lot faster than the rotation speed for the plane to rotate itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Speed indicator or now, at a certain point, I would think you could figure out if you're going fast enough to yank back on the yoke, no?

Also, with no choice but to try to takeoff anyway, I also would have thought that they'd TRY to rotate sooner.
    I definitely agree , thats what the crosscheck at 80kts is supposed to be all about. I dont know CI's procedures of that but some airlines make a call at either 80 or 100kts.

Then again accidents have been attributed to a crew not noticing a discrepency in airspeed during takeoff roll... CO795 at LGA comes to mind in 1994

http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19940302-0