Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JFK 8/3 (now with review & some pics)

All Nippon Cargo 747-400F JFK 3/8/08

I had not much else to do so I went to JFK to get the NCA B744F.
    31L departure.
    There is word that Nippon (Cargo) will be pulling out of JFK.

Senga

Re: JFK 8/3?

For those of you out there, I have a Falcon900 - N506BA - headed to JFK, should arrived between 1445 & 1515. If one would be so kind to 'snap' it as she flies past that would be appreciated. Departure is set for around 1700-ish depending on their connecting flight.

Re: All Nippon Cargo 747-400F JFK

Nice shots Senga, the light on the DHL is very sharp.. And im not happy to hear about NCA pulling out of JFK..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Waking up to Expressway Visual 31, looks like it's gonna be 31 today at JFK! If it stays like this I guess I will see you guys at Firestone.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Just a heads up for you guys not in the know. If they're on 31's and you want wunala AND the 380, it's gonna be a time and scramble game. Wunala will undoubtedly go 31R while the 380 will definitely go to the left. Just be advised it may come down to which bird you want more.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Just a heads up for you guys not in the know. If they're on 31's and you want wunala AND the 380, it's gonna be a time and scramble game. Wunala will undoubtedly go 31R while the 380 will definitely go to the left. Just be advised it may come down to which bird you want more.
    There is also a 35-min gap between the two...the A380 is a scheduled 4:45 arrival and Wunala comes in at 5:20.

Are you guys taking Bayswater or Inwood for 31L?

Does the A380 uses 31L? I thought she park at T4 which is usually 31R arrival?

She can't fit on 31R because it's difficult to turn off at the end.

Guys, L-1011 inbound for Zoom right now supposedly. I hope many people are getting it!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: All Nippon Cargo 747-400F JFK

Yea its kind of a disappointment. I am sure sure if its going to happen. It was just something someone advised. I put it out there as something to look into.
    The NCA departed 15 mins earlier than it should have so I got screwed on the light.

Senga

JFK Spotting First Time

Left home around 3:20PM. Hour delay on upper level of GWB, and 30-min on lower. More traffic on the Harlem River Drive. Even MORE traffic on the Grand Central. With the JFK map from the NYCA front page in hand, we somehow missed Rockaway Blvd. still on the Belt Parkway. This was already 4:40, and so I gave up on the Emirates A380. After I realized we had definitely passed Rockaway Blvd, (the big left turn on Belt), we exited the next exit, which happened to be Brookville Blvd. We drove down Brookville, and accidentally turned right onto Rockaway Blvd. As we turned back, WHOOAAAA!!!! There it was: THE WHALEJET!!!

The only shots I could manage were through the windshield, but I guess it's better than nothing at all. It was 4:54PM. Finally, I spotted the Burger King and Costco I've heard so much about. I couldn't find the Firestone, though.

The moment we pulled into the Costco lot, the planes stopped. As my mom and sister went for a bathroom break and shopping at Costco, I frantically called JFK's ATIS only to get busy signals or ringing with no one picking up. 15 minutes pass. No planes. It was 5:15. It seemed like they started using the 4's, and with Wunala scheduled to arrive at 5:20, I called my mom and sister back to the car and we headed for Bayswater Park. On the way there, I watched the clock tick past 5:20.

We passed Bayview Avenue, but shortly after that, Sheridan Blvd. switched to another name (South Beach Street?). Fearing we had made a wrong turn, we turned back, but saw nowhere Sheridan Blvd. could've branched off. We went back towards Bayswater, and there it was: Mott Ave. We finally reached Bayswater Park at 5:34PM.

I had already given up on Wunala, and figured since I was finally there, I'd just ponder at JFK's usual traffic. I had been doing that for around 10 minutes, when suddenly in the distance, I see a red 747. My sister had the binoculars, and I asked her what color it was. She said it was red in front, and red in back, but she couldn't tell what was in the middle. My hopes dropped again. But as that 744 came closer, she was definitely red. As she approached, I thought, "Wait, that might be her!". The next thing I know, Wunala Dreaming's right in front of me in all her glory.

All in all, I caught what I wanted to catch. Unfortunately, the A380 wasn't how I hoped to get her, but it's still an improvement over what I thought was the case once the clock ticked past 4:45.

My personal highlights: Emirates A380, Wunala Dreaming, Malev Hungarian 767, and I think I even got lijk's N506BA!

I'm off to process the ~200 photos I took. I'll put them in the next post.

Thanks for reading.

Re: JFK Spotting First Time

This was my first time using a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 IS USM for spotting, which turned out to be perfect at Bayswater. Unfortunately, with the nature of the time and the runways, the planes are backlit.

Through the windshield...

Is that lijk's N506BA?

Whoooaaaa... Could...it...BE?

It IS!

Touchdown!

Re: JFK Spotting First Time

Nice job! You must have passed the group, because we were near firestone going to the rwy 4 spot when the 380 came over. Nice shots though!

That plane is lijk's 506BA, we got it on arrival.
    "lol retart"

It was something of a wild day out there. I headed out early with the ATIS saying the 31s were in use. As I got closer, they'd changed to landing 4R departing 4L/31L so I headed to Bayswater where I ran into Barry. Not a lot of interesting traffic, but thanks to his iPhone we had a heads up on Asiana Cargo coming. Naturally, this is the time that ATC decides to switch back to the 31s, so I quickly grab everything and start heading for my car. On the walk over I ran into Kenny (wunaladreaming) and Brian (brontis5) and told them about the change. Didn't make it over to Firestone in time to catch the Asiana 747, but I get a couple of poor shots out of my car window as I was stopped at a red light. Would have been beautiful light if it'd come to Bayswater.

Most of the day was spent at Firestone, and we picked up a bit of a crowd (I'm not even going to try to name everyone who was out. Someone better at these things than me can do that). We also had quite a few people stop by and ask us about the 380. I guess that people were interested after they saw it in the news. Nothing too interesting came in; saw CSA in new colors, non-Star Alliance Austrian (possibly the first non-SA bird I've caught of theirs), LOT Star Alliance, World Cargo MD11 (old colors). The sun was hiding behind the clouds at some points, and the poles/sign made for more than a few ruined photos. News of the incoming L-1011 got everybody really excited; with an initially-reported arrival of sometime between 4 and 6:30 most of us figured we'd skip the 380 to catch the Tristar & Wunala, figuring those would come to 31R while the A380 would be on the left side. Then Kenny got a call warning of a runway change to the 22s (right around when the 380 was due) and the group headed off for the mounds. I happened to leave my scanner on in the car on the ride over and heard the A380 (Emirates 3802 Super Heavy) get vectored for the 31s (ILS 31R initially, visual 31L before long). First chance I got I turned around and headed over to Inwood Park. Made it with a couple of minutes to spare and got the shot. Light was very nice on it! I didn't see anyone else from NYCA there but there were plenty of other people who took an interest in the plane when it came in. I saw more than a few cameras around.

In the meantime, they'd switched back to the 4s. Some of the group had headed to a spot in what Google Maps says in Averne (between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park). By the time I got there the bad news about the Tristar (not arriving until 2130) was being spread around. It definitely soured the mood, especially after (almost) everyone had missed the A380. The clouds were still wreaking havoc as Wunala's arrival time was coming closer. Eventually we heard Qantas 107 Heavy check in, fortunately for 4R (some stuff, most notably TAM, went to 4L, which was mostly overhead & backlit from where we were). Luckily we did get some sun! It was nice to finally catch Wunala; it hadn't foiled me as often as some but I'd had some frustration at trying to catch it. After Wunala we stuck around a bit longer; picked up the Comair 30th special, EVA 747, Evergeen, FedEx, Air France A340, Swiss A340, and a regular Icelandair 757 to go along with the Icelandair Cargo 757 we'd gotten earlier. After Eurofly came in (running late) we decided to call it a day; we were starting to lose the light to some clouds and weren't hearing anything interesting talking to approach.

The sunset was $#@%ing amazing when I was driving back. I wish I could have stopped and taken some photos, but there aren't a whole lot of spots for that on the Belt Parkway.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos (rough edits):

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    For those of you out there, I have a Falcon900 - N506BA - headed to JFK, should arrived between 1445 & 1515. If one would be so kind to 'snap' it as she flies past that would be appreciated.
    Here you go:
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Nice pics Phil.

There were half a dozen NYCAers at Inwood before they all scrambled back to Firestone after hearing the initial 31R approach. I threw the scanner in the back seat and followed the convoy. Right before making the left back onto Sheridan, I heard approach give a vector to 31L but since I was the last car of the convoy, couldn't warn others to stay put. They all jetted off, so I made a u-turn back to Inwood.

I think I saw you show up right before 3803's arrival. You got outa there in a hurry though :lol: While I was packing up you were already gone. Glad you got the shots though.