Thread: Are 4 Engines the Most?

Are 4 Engines the Most?

This is probably a silly question but are there any passenger or military aircraft which use more than 4 engines for flight? I can't recall ever reading about any so 4 engines are probably the most.

Re: Are 4 Engines the Most?

the An-225 has 6, 3 on each wing, http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6309232
    and the B-52 has 8, 4 on each wing (but together in sets) http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6305555

Currently? Off the top of my head, you have the B-52 with 8 engines, and the An-225 with 6. Going back further, you had the B-36 with 10 engines (6 turning, 4 burning), and the B-47 (6 jet engines). In addition, some 4 piston-engined aircraft were modified by adding two jet engines for added power, the C-97 being one that comes to mind.

And of course there's the occasional 5-engined 747.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

As an Air Force vet and an active Air National Guard member, the Boeing B-52 has Eight Pratt & Whitney engines TF33-P-3/103 turbofan engines. Each engine gives off 17000 lbs of thrust. Take a look at this link for more information http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=83. The AN-225 has six engines. These are the only two I know of that are still in service today.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

dornier's do-x. 12 engines:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    And of course there's the occasional 5-engined 747.
    Well, only 4 of them are used for flight.
    There´s one really good photo on a.net where the Concorde takes off and the An-225 stands on the ground from JFK I think?