Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 737 Lands With Blown Tire at JFK

Delta 737 Lands With Blown Tire at JFK

The live landing of Delta flight 141 to Salt Lake City was on TV about 10 minutes ago. The tire to the very right of the main gear apparently blew out on landing, and they flew for 3 hours around the area to burn off fuel. The plane touched down on the right gear, and a piece of tire flew off, but otherwise was a good landing, albeit on the left side of the runway. It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.

Re: Delta 737 Lands With Blown Tire at JFK

737-800

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    The live landing of Delta flight 141 to Salt Lake City was on TV about 10 minutes ago. The tire to the very right of the main gear apparently blew out on landing, and they flew for 3 hours around the area to burn off fuel. The plane touched down on the right gear, and a piece of tire flew off, but otherwise was a good landing, albeit on the left side of the runway. It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.
    It was the top story on Fox5 NY at 10PM and they had great pictures from their ENG copter Skyfox.

I knew something wasnt right.. I caught it as it was coming into runway 22R while I was at the mounds.... Check it out..

I never noticed it until I looked good at the picture... Im in shock to catch it..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Man, good one, Sergio!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It was either a -700 or -800 with winglets.
    It was a -800.

The -700s have not entered into Delta service yet.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Many of the local news outlets are quoting the Port Authority as saying the Aircraft dumped fuel over a loacl body of water. I hope before the Environmentalists begin their ranting that they do their homework and discover that the B737 series has never had fuel jettisoning capability.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    I hope before the Environmentalists begin their ranting that they do their homework and discover that the B737 series has never had fuel jettisoning capability.
    Maybe they can have another bicycle rally to protest it lol.

Great catch Sergio!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Bad shot....Backlit!!! :lol:

Seriously.....great shot! You should be proud that it stumbled upon you.... Nice job! :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Great landing by the pilots. I read that the landing was to the left of centerline to allow it more room on the right in case the aircraft veered to the right upon landing. Can anyone shed some light as to why a tire would be blown on takeoff like that? Is it just wear and tear that culminates when the aircraft rotates, or is there a technical reason I am not aware of?

On another note, GREAT SHOT SERGIO! Pretty rare to catch photos of an incident like that. Wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it to local media for a pretty penny...even if it is backlit!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Tires blow for the same reason your car tire blows....wear or an object hit the tire. This really isn't a big deal at all. Mario and I were at JFK last year when an Air China 747 came in with two blow tires. In that case though the pilot never reported it until another taxing plane reported it to the tower and made the China bird stop until it could be checked out, I'll try to find some pics of that. The news totally blows things out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Great landing by the pilots. I read that the landing was to the left of centerline to allow it more room on the right in case the aircraft veered to the right upon landing. Can anyone shed some light as to why a tire would be blown on takeoff like that? Is it just wear and tear that culminates when the aircraft rotates, or is there a technical reason I am not aware of?

On another note, GREAT SHOT SERGIO! Pretty rare to catch photos of an incident like that. Wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it to local media for a pretty penny...even if it is backlit!

I actually tried to send the picture to Daily News, Post and AOL News, but I didnt get any calls or responds to it..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I realize that this story is old news but I wanted to add a comment (and photo, if I can figure out how to do it...) to this topic.

I was a passenger on Delta 141 when the tire blew on takeoff and I had no idea that the event had generated any news stories, much less a discussion in a forum such as this! I was flying to Utah to visit my sons and grandkids but didn't see any of the news stories for a couple of days and then didn't get to search the internet until I'd returned home... and that's when I found this discussion. I've never joined a discussion group or done any postings, so hopefully I'm not out of line by adding to the discussion at this point.

SengaB - thanks for posting the image of the flight's track - it was neat to be able to see exactly where we spent all that time in the air! And it clearly shows the flight path when we came in low for the flyover (so that people on the ground could do a visual inspection and determine whether the tire was indeed blown or possibly just some of the treads came off).

Sergio - your photo that happened to capture the blown tire is great and it actually was nice to see such a beautiful shot, with the sun setting behind the plane like that, because it was a tense situation (for those of us onboard) yet someone on the ground was just seeing the beauty of a plane in the sky. (does that make sense?)

I can't figure out how to post a photo of what remained of the tire... (For the record, I was seated in 25-A [left side of plane] so I handed my camera to a young man in 25-F [right side of plane where all the action was!] and asked him to take the photo for me. I have lots of other images - video mostly - that I took during the flight, flyover, and actual landing [but at that point the camera was on my lap while I was in the brace position, and although you can hear the flight attendant yelling "Brace - stay low!" throughout the landing, there really isn't anything to see except the sweater I was holding on my lap] so the photo of the tire is the only image I thought would be of interest to anyone who followed this discussion and story.)

Any help would be appreciated! I clicked on the "Img" button thinking that was how to add a photo but that didn't seem to work; drag and drop didn't work either... sorry! As I said, this is new to me. I'll look through the FAQ's to see if there's some help there.

Welcome to the site, Gma! A great first-hand account of your experience, thank you for sharing that.

If you'd like, you can email me any photos or videos ([email protected]), and I will post them here for you. I know we would all be very excited to see them!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].