Thread: Anyone know where to spot at ORD?

Anyone know where to spot at ORD?

Am in Chicago for work this week and staying the weekend. Anyone know where to spot in and around ORD? I found this http://chicagoaps.tripod.com/caps/id16.html online but wondering if there are more comprehensive resources and more importantly reports on any problems with airport/local authorities.

Thanks.
    Chien

Re: Anyone know where to spot at ORD?

Senga

Holy spotting locations batman. Seriously, thats alot to work with.

Have fun in Chicago dude, I hear that city blows though. :lol:
    Puts the MIA in NYCA

Eddie, you hear right.
    Yea I lived in the Chicago area from 1996 to 2002 and it was definatly the WORST years of my life. Well Second only to 3 years in Selma, AL.

Theres alot of spots around ORD to utilize.
    If you can navigate around JFK the ORD will be a breeze.
    Senga

Senga- I was actually reffering to the wind. :lol:
    Puts the MIA in NYCA

I know what you ment, but I HAD to go there :)

Even based on the wind its still very easy.
    ORD is VERY predicable.
    Senga

Thanks Senga for the map. As it turns out, many of those locations are heavily patrolled by security, police, vigilant employees or all of the above. Had one encounter with the police (see the blotter) that prompted me to do more Internet research on the situation at ORD especially since I didn't see any spotters which was strange since Saturday was a very mild day in Chicagoland and reasonably clear.

My search revealed that pretty much police are fast in their response and every time they tell you to leave. As I was a visitor with no friends/family in the area, I decided not to push my luck too much because the last thing I need is my company's HR having to bail me out of jail. I was able to find a spot on Eagle Road on the 10 glidepath that I was able to shoot for a couple hours without encountering any police. When I get a chance I'll post the location as well as the photos I was able to get.

coloneltigh ,No problem,
    I can't comment on how the cop situaiton is like at ORD now as it has been several years since I have shot there. But I am sure it is as you described it. When I was there most of those spots were places you usually were not bothered . When I lived I the Chicago area (6 years) cops were sometimes agressive before and after 9-11 but even then several times they left you alone if you were not on airport property. Mainly times they would leave you alone or just ask what you were doing. I had my first and WORSE ever cop experience at ORD (1996). "Officer King". I will never forget his name and that experience. I actually ran into him a few years later when I was shooting at the Cemetary he was actually tame the second time. When I lived there I was really one one of 2 photogs.
    You can see some of my suff on JP.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php ... display=30

Senga