Thread: Towers at Flushing Meadows

Towers at Flushing Meadows

They again are talking about demolishing the towers at Flushing Meadows Park. That would be a shame. The City refuses to make them a city landmark. I have fond memories of these towers from the 64 World's Fair and even visited the top. What wonderful memories. The City claims they are in danger of collapse. They wanted to demolish the Parachute Jump at Coney Island, too. Why do we have to demolish old historic buildings, like Yankee Stadium, when they can be repaired at a much lower cost? The answer must be economics. The City is looking for profits. The new Stadium will yield more for the City. Also, aren't the towers used by pilots coming into LGA as a landmark?

Re: Towers at Flushing Meadows

These older structures often times cannot be repaired at a lower cost since a good deal of them have materials that were used in their construction that are now considered harmful. So to remove that material and rebuild it costs a great deal more then the cost to knock it down and build something else.

While I agree that certain things should be preserved the city is aging and drastically needs new construction to bring it into the 21st century. I spent a good deal of my time in Vancouver last year and the one thing you rarely see is an old building. The city has a trend of knocking down buildings ever 20 or so years and rebuilding. What you have is a modern, clean, economically vibrant city. What's taking place in Dubai should be taking place in Manhattan.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Also, aren't the towers used by pilots coming into LGA as a landmark?
    not really. the only time they would be used is on the expressway visual to 31, and at that point in the approach your attention is focussed on the runway and not the towers underneath you.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I thought they already demolished those in the making of Men In Black, no?

Those things are rusty eyesores, and I know very few people that view them as historical, save for some that use it as a visual aid. I have no attachment to them and wouldn't mind to see them go.

Structures like that look like they are wasted, abandoned structures that you see scenes of in Chernobyl.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Structures like that look like they are wasted, abandoned structures that you see scenes of in Chernobyl.
    Agreed, I went on a bike ride through there a couple weeks ago and it was like a giant pigeon house. It's too bad there's nothing that can be done with them, but I'd rather see the city spend money on new park facilities rather than maintaining old useless stuff with negligible historical value.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I want to climb to the top and take night pictures, But it is too dangerous as the
    stairs have fell and the metal to keep it inplace is so rotted it will not support a person.

Here are some pictures I have taken in the past....

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

How are the aliens going to go home if they are demolished?

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    That's the point! We are holding them here until they meet our demands, its part of the Bush agenda, he considers them "Evil Do'ers."

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    There are a lot of Mexicans in Flushing Meadows but I've never seen any on the towers. Why would they want to go home anyway?

Oh wait.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9