Thread: Phoenix / PHX Spotting

Phoenix / PHX Spotting

Going to Phoenix in a week and definitely want to know what good stuff there is to do as well as if there are any good spotting locations at PHX. I think I might have read once that there is a good hotel to stay at with great views of the airport action? I am also thinking about taking a ride out to Marana Airpark to check out the aircraft graveyard. Anybody ever been to the city or done some spotting? Any recommendations?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: Phoenix / PHX Spotting

I live in Phoenix, and shoot at PHX frequently. To my knowledge, there is no hotel at or near the airport with views of the airport action. Also, this time of year, the sun is very high, and limits photos to a few locations.

In the morning, you'll have to shoot facing west, which limits you to the top couple of levels of the Terminal 4 parking garage -- all you will be able to photograph are planes going back and forth on the taxiway between Terminal 3 and Terminal 4 -- it will mostly be US Airways, with other stuff randomly scattered in between. You may also be able to shoot pictures of planes on the US Airways ramp (see my avatar).

In the late afternoon, you have to shoot facing east, and there are two spots. Again, the Terminal 4 parking garage is good, but at the other end facing a different taxiway. You can also get some nice shots of Southwest aircraft at the gate, and also planes turning on to 25R for departure. Or, you can go to the Terminal 3 parking garage -- I usually go to level 4 in the northwest corner. It is very hot this time of year, and during the middle of the day photos are difficult because the sun is almost directly overhead. I use that time to go get lunch and do something else.

Here are some sample pictures to give you an idea of what you should expect this time of year:

Afternoon shot of aircraft turning onto 25R for departure (shot from southeast corner of T4 garage, 8th or 9th floor)

Afternoon shot of Southwest ramp (southeast corner of T4 garage)

Afternoon shot of aircraft taxiing from T4 to 25R for departure (southeast corner of T4 garage)

Afternoon shot of aircraft taxiing between T3 and T4 (northeast corner of T3 garage, level 4)

Morning shot of aircraft passing between T3 and T4 (west side of T4 garage, level 8 or 9)

_____

If you're only interested in spotting without taking pictures, either of those garages afford you a good view of operations on both sides of the airport all day long.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Josh

You will have to take a flight to do Marana overflight. Otherwise you wont be able to access the airport. They have a check point about 1 mile from the airport where they check your ID and your purpose of the visit. You wont see any airplanes from outside areas (only tails sticking out).

For renting a plane I recommend Sonoran Wings at TUC airport. Best prices and HOT pilots :)

Take care,
    Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

[You will have to take a flight to do Marana overflight. Otherwise you wont be able to access the airport. They have a check point about 1 mile from the airport where they check your ID and your purpose of the visit. You wont see any airplanes from outside areas (only tails sticking out).

Maybe because the CIA is still involved flying paramilitary flights out of there?

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Going to Phoenix in a week and definitely want to know what good stuff there is to do as well as if there are any good spotting locations at PHX. I think I might have read once that there is a good hotel to stay at with great views of the airport action? I am also thinking about taking a ride out to Marana Airpark to check out the aircraft graveyard. Anybody ever been to the city or done some spotting? Any recommendations?
    You can always drive up to Davis-Monthan in Tucson. Depending how long you will be there I believe it is about an hours drive.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not sure if I will still plan to visit Marana given that you can't get near the airfield. Would you recommend doing the charter and flyover thing? How much would that cost? Is there any way I could get some dual time out of that adventure (I'm working on my ppl)? I'm thinking about changing my second day spotting location to Tucson instead, but I don't know how much traffic there is there. What do you think?
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

> I'm thinking about changing my second day spotting location to Tucson instead, but I don't know how much traffic there is there. What do you think?[/quote]<

Phoenix is 118 miles northwest of Tucson and a straight ride on Route 10. And D-M has tours of the graveyard there. When I was
    there in early June traffic was light.

One hour at Sonoran Wings cost $150. Its well worth it. If you are working on your PPL it will count towards your time. TUC is boring for spotting regular arrivals, but its a little haven. They have A LOT of stored airplanes at TUC including L1011, Caravelle, Dash 8 prototype and many many more.
    What I would suggest you do is to arrange flight for Marana leaving from TUC airport around 7am. You'll be back around 8am. Do the West side of stored planes at TUC. This will take you 30 minutes to collect everything with the sun in your back. Drive to Pima museum and buy ticket on the bus tour to DM AFB. I think it cost like $20 but is well worth it. If you can't get tickets for the first bus out which is around 9:30am, get the 11am departure. So if you are going on the 11am bus to DM make sure that you take seat on the right side of the bus. Do the tour of Pima museum. They have GREAT stuff on display (pictures below)
    When you are back from the tour of DM you can go back to TUC airport and collect stuff parked towards East (sun will be at your back). From there you can go to Ryan Field to collect stored DC-3s.
    That is actually what I did when I was there last year :) Enjoy your time in Arizona.
    I'll be there in November working at Marana airport :)

Few of my shots from Pima museum while waiting for 11am departure to DMAFB :)
    http://www.flyiad.net/Pima/index.htm

And few shots taken from the bus at DM AFB
    http://www.flyiad.net/dmafb/index.htm

Take care,
    Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO