Thread: new photographer looking for some help!

new photographer looking for some help!

Hey everyone, my buddy just hooked me up with this site because I was hounding him for a way to get in touch with some people who do legitimate spotting (other than 172's all day, every day). I live about 20 minutes from EWR or 30 from LGA and whatever traffic allows out to JFK...I've been trying to get out spotting those airports for some time now but never have anyone to go with. Is there per chance anyone going out on weekends that I could join up with? I'm a big fan of going anywhere as I feel equipped to do so with a 70-200 2.8L and a 300 F4...most weekends after the second weekend in August is great! Thanks!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: new photographer looking for some help!

Keep an eye on the Spotting Planning and Review forum...frequently, if the weather forecast looks good for the upcoming weekend, someone will start a thread asking who is going out...we get good crowds in the fall. Or start a thread yourself. If you get a couple of people's phone numbers, you can call and find out where the action is. Also, take a look at the spotting map (http://nycaviation.com/jfkspotting) for location info.

Your lenses should be fine, but you might want to invest in a 1.4x teleconverter. I've shot at the Mound(s) (location B) and Firestone (location C) with a 70-200 f/4 and a 1.4x TC, and it was fine. For any takeoff shots (Howard Beach), the 300 f/4 with a TC should do the trick.

(Keep in mind that any focal lengths specified on the spotting maps assume you're using a crop camera. 400mm won't even be long enough for the Mounds on a 5D.)

Welcome to NYCA!

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    (Keep in mind that any focal lengths specified on the spotting maps assume you're using a crop camera. 400mm won't even be long enough for the Mounds on a 5D.)
    I'd actually say that the mounds are shootable with just a 70-200 on a crop body; at least for the big jets. I was out there once when I was still using a 70-200/2x TC combo and found that only being able to go as wide as 140mm was limiting (no side shots of 747s, etc). I ended up popping off the TC and just using the 70-200 itself. 400mm would get you plenty of angle-on shots but would be way too much for a side-on shot (except for detail shots, maybe).
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by pgengler
    I'd actually say that the mounds are shootable with just a 70-200 on a crop body; at least for the big jets. I was out there once when I was still using a 70-200/2x TC combo and found that only being able to go as wide as 140mm was limiting (no side shots of 747s, etc). I ended up popping off the TC and just using the 70-200 itself. 400mm would get you plenty of angle-on shots but would be way too much for a side-on shot (except for detail shots, maybe).
    Shootable with a 70-200, yes. But 98-280 is almost perfect...a 747 is full-frame at about 115mm, and an RJ is full-frame at about 250mm. And a 300 prime with a 1.4x TC is about right for HoBe shots as well if you stand in the right spot...