Thread: MIA TAKE OFF RWY 27

MIA TAKE OFF RWY 27

I have notiuced when I was down there that a lot of takeoff's from this RWY that have an unusually steep angle of climb(45 degree's at least in my estimate). Any reason for this ?? Any MIA spotters know WHY THIS IS ?

Re: MIA TAKE OFF RWY 27

WELL I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY BUT TYPING IN CAPS IS ANNOYING

An angle of 45 will most likely stall any aircraft.
    "lol retart"

sorry about the cap's(forgot about cap lock). I just found it a bit odd that these takeoof's are only 3/4 of the way down the runway at 1200 agl and climing so steeply.

Sharp turns are usually to minmize noise pollution over neighborhoods or to deconflict from other air traffic patterns that might be in the area. Just like JFK with the 31L departures they need to turn out to avoid LGA traffic and this way they turn out over the water and not fly over people's houses.

Quote Originally Posted by NYARTCCFAN
    sorry about the cap's(forgot about cap lock). I just found it a bit odd that these takeoof's are only 3/4 of the way down the runway at 1200 agl and climing so steeply.
    That's about a 970 ft/nm climb gradient which would require an outrageous amount of power, let alone a wing design that allows for such a climb without exceeding the critical angle of attack. Perhaps 500 AGL is more realistic (400 ft/nm gradient).

There are plenty of weird illusions out there where nose high pitches and certain angles produce some wild sightings. Could be a few of those mixed into what you saw.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Jason I am not exaggerating here. I was only a good third of a mile from runway 27 laterally and at halfway mark and these American a-300's and 737-800's were climbing steeply. I was waiting for a stall. There was one morning when Christopher was sleeping after his med's that as soon as they reached the end of the runway they made a sharp left 40 degree turn to avoid a cell 4 miles off the end of the runway that looked like they were going to fal, our of the sky. All I could say it was scary. Next time I spot (planned) there I will video and post here or on you tube to show you.

You answered you own question. To avoid a cell 4 miles away from the field.

The cells in the proximity of South Fl. airports are highly dangerous, usually they have large hail, strong updrafts, microbursts. It's not fun. And the controllers do all in their power to stear flights clear of this.

Thats nothing man, I've seen an Arrow DC-10 bank 30 left after a 27 takeoff, he was probably no more than 300ft off the ground. It was either that, or windshear.
    Puts the MIA in NYCA

I was in awe how those loaded cargo carriers need pretty much all of the runway to liftoff. When those storms down there cause havoc the FLL/MIA arrivals from the NW hold over my house at the TEPEE INT. Fun to listen to all the deviations here in Florida daily.

Listening to MIA TWR and APP CON is definatley interesting when it gets nasty here. Im close enough to pick it up with my scanner.
    Puts the MIA in NYCA

My scanner is my American Express Card. Never leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYARTCCFAN
    My scanner is my American Express Card. Never leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :lol: Whenever your back in MIA let me know and I'll head out to go spot.
    Puts the MIA in NYCA

'Sho enuf

Chances are the ones that appear to be climbing sharply are light and are using full power for takeoff ( normally if the aircraft is light , if you dont need full power. It isnt used )

When there is convective activity ( thunderstorms ) near the airport. The crew's will sometimes elect to use full thrust. As we know some aircraft can use very high angle of attacks such as the B757 when light. Rarely do those angles exceed 15-20 degrees. It certainly appears to be a greater angle but , it's not.