Thread: 2/9/1992 - Plane Lands on Union Turnpike

2/9/1992 - Plane Lands on Union Turnpike

For years since I became an aviation enthusiast, I would post on forums and look online for anything pertaining to what I remember as being a small plane that landed on the off-ramp for the Clearview Expressway at Union Turnpike when I was 11 years old. I could never find anything, and no one else I know remembers it. I used to drive through the intersection all the time when going to my orthodontist.

I am not crazy. At least not for that reason. But I finally found an article on it. I wish I found the Daily News photo, which showed the small Piper sitting in the middle of the intersection, but oh well. I'll take what I can get. An interesting read I think.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A964958260
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: 2/9/1992 - Plane Lands on Union Turnpike

I remember it well, I was in 7th grade and my school was just a few blocks away. I remember driving by with my mom afterwards...I think the plane was gone by then but there was still some debris from the plane and the traffic lights he knocked over. Luckily for the pilot and motorists the light going down the ramp when he landed was green and traffic on Union Turnpike was stopped, otherwise it could have been a lot worse.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

And I never brought this up with you? You're the only person I know the remembers this. I was even called a liar on Anet once.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    And I never brought this up with you? You're the only person I know the remembers this. I was even called a liar on Anet once.
    I think you've been called other things on A.net too...LOL

A few years back a plane landed on the LIE and there's been a number of stories of planes landing on the beach at Fire Island because of fuel or mx issues.

I once passed one on Rt 1 in Rhode Island maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I heard there was a landing on rockaway tpk a couple decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I think I remember it being discussed on here briefly a couple years ago. Also, being called a liar on anet is like Mike Tyson saying you talk funny.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I remember that. I was a Lieutenant in EMS Communications that night. The LGA Squawk box rang out and we all jumped thinking it was "the big one" then they advised it was a single engine with one soul aboard we went back to the usual chaos.

Remember the private plane that hit the fence coming in on 4 and nosed into the runway?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I remember that. I was a Lieutenant in EMS Communications that night. The LGA Squawk box rang out and we all jumped thinking it was "the big one" then they advised it was a single engine with one soul aboard we went back to the usual chaos.

Remember the private plane that hit the fence coming in on 4 and nosed into the runway?
    Wasnt there an accident involving a cargo plane coming in on R4 that crashed before it even crossed Astoria Blvd?
    And the one you wrote about i believe the big story was how it could have been a lot worse if it landed on the GCP.

I believe this was the most recent NYC "Non-Runway" landing

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/nyregion/15plane.html
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man