Thread: Three questions about spotting at LGA

Three questions about spotting at LGA

Hello @ all,

I´ve three questions about spotting at LGA:

1. Is there a bus stop next to planeview park, and what`s the name of this stop?

2. How are the runways used in general?

3. A spotter who visited LGA early this year told me, that he was spotting at LGA-Terminal (he took pictures through the windows at the public area). What do you think about? It sounds interesting and the pics are very good, but don`t want to get in trouble with the police....

Re: Three questions about spotting at LGA

Welcome to the boards, D-AKNO.
    Quote Originally Posted by D-AKNO
    1. Is there a bus stop next to planeview park, and what`s the name of this stop?
    There is a bus stop, but unfortunately bus stops in New York do not have names. If you are taking the M60 bus from Manhattan, you should ask the driver to let you know when you get to 23rd Ave and 82nd Street. Landing Lights Park is right next to the stop, and then Planeview Park is just a block away.

I've been working on some new spotting maps, so your question inspired me to add a marker and walking path for the bus stop. Click here to see the map.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thanks for the map! So I have to put in "23rd ave / 82nd street" at the trip planner of mta?
    Following question sounds stupid, but does it work at NYC buses in the same way as here at Germany, that I have to press the STOP-button when I want to leave the bus at the next stop?

Yes.
    "lol retart"

Yes. Use similar maps to figure the previous stop, and just press the "ding" when your stop is next.

Try to sit up front and make sure the driver know where you're going. They will usually remember and stop at your stop, even if you are not sure where you are.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Also, don't use the MTA's trip planner for this stuff...there's nothing wrong with it, but there's a much better tool:

http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork

In response to your other questions:

LGA generally uses one runway for landings and one runway for takeoffs; which runway they use depends on the winds. They usually land on 22 or 31, and depart on 4 or 13, although landing on 4 or departing on 31 is not uncommon, and once in a great while you'll get departures on 22 or landings on 13. You can find out which runways are in use by calling LGA ATIS at 718-478-6118.

You can get some good views from inside the terminal, but I wouldn't recommend trying to take pictures. Besides the fact that you'd be shooting through glass, the cops will most likely chase you.

Q33 bus from the 74th St-Roosevelt Ave station on the E,F,G,R,V,7 lines will take you to Planeview Park. Just take the bus until you reach 23rd Ave. You can tell because the bus will pass a bus depot and then make a right. Ring the bell when the bus makes the turn and get off. Planeview Park will be across the street. Only good for 4 landings.

The Q48 bus will take you to the GCP overpass. I used to remember the stop to get off the bus but don't now. If you get the right stop, the overpass is right there. That's good for 13 departures or 31 arrivals if you have a long enough lens. Catch the Q48 from Willets Point-Shea Stadium or Main St-Flushing stops on the 7 line.

Many thanks for all the answers, especially the phone number of ATIS! Is there such a number for JFK, too?

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

718-995-8188

Thanks!